The Glamorgan-Gwent Archaeological Trust
Historic Environment Record
 

The following information has been provided under the terms and conditions of access as detailed on GGAT’s website www.ggat.org.uk.  Copyright is reserved on all data supplied by the GGAT HER Charitable Trust. All output resulting from the use of the data must acknowledge the source as follows:-
Derived from information held by the GGAT HER Charitable Trust copyright.

The data below is intended to be used for information and research only and is not for use as part of a commercial project.  If you wish to use information derived from material held by the GGAT HER Charitable Trust for publication in printed or multimedia form or to compile resources for commercial use, prior permission must be obtained in writing. For further information or to arrange a visit to the Trust please send an enquiry form http://www.ggat.org.uk/her/english/enquiry_form.html to her@ggat.org.uk.

Clydach Ironworks

Primary Reference Number (PRN) : 02476g
Trust : Glamorgan Gwent
Community : Llanelly
Unitary authority : Monmouthshire
NGR : SO22901325
Site Type (preferred type first) : POST MEDIEVAL Iron works
Status : Scheduled Monument

Summary :
The Clydach Ironworks, which were in operation by 1793, were located close to sources of iron ore, coal and limestone as well as water from the river Clydach. Remains include the furnace bank, furnaces, cast house and wheel pit.

Description :
The Clydach Ironworks, which were in operation by 1797, were located close to sources of iron ore, coal and limestone as well as water from the river Clydach and the confluence with the Nant Dyar (1988).

The first furnace at the site was constructed in 1793 and the works started well producing 1,660 tons of iron in 1796. Edward Frere and Thomas Cooke operated the works, leased from the Duke of Beaufort. The blast furnaces at the site remained in production for over 65 years during which time the works were a focal point for much activity in the valley. In 1813 the site at Clydach boasted two furnaces, by 1833 this had increased to three with the blast supplied by a Boulton & Watt engine and a 42ft. wheel, while four furnaces were recorded for the first time in 1844. Clydach Ironworks was excavated and partly restored during the 1980s. Excavation revealed that the circular refractory brick linings survived up to the ‘boshes’ of the furnace stacks, while the dressed stone casings had been extensively robbed. Other remains on the site include a cast-house, charging houses and the wheel pit for a massive cast-iron water wheel 42 ft (12.8m) in diameter, which drove the blowing-cylinders (Roberts 2005).

Sources :
BABTIE , 1997 , A465 Abergavenny to Hirwaun Cultural Heritage. Gazetteer from Environmental Statement Vol 2.2
01/PM Mention/Ince L/1989/J Hist Metal 23,2 pp108-12
02. A Wilson (1988) The Excavations of Clydach Ironworks,in Industrial Archaeology Review, XI,1,Autumn

Events :
E000959 : A465 Abergavenny to Hirwaun Dualling (year : 1994)
E008401 : Clydach Ironworks, Monmouthshire (year : 2021)
E002359 : A465 Abergavenny to Hirwaun Dualling, Section Two:Gilwern to Brynmawr (year : 1997)

Related records
GGAT Historic Environment Record (HER) 03647g

Compiled date : 19-02-1988


March 28, 2025, 12:40 pm - HTML file produced from GGAT HER Charitable Trust Ltd. Heathfield House, Heathfield, Swansea SA1 Tel. 01792 655208; Fax 01792 474469 website: www.ggat.org.uk  email: her@ggat.org.uk Registered Charity no. 505609
Data supplied by in partnership with Local Authorities, Cadw and the partners of ENDEX © GGAT HER Charitable Trust, 2025 (and in part © Crown, 2025).