The Glamorgan-Gwent Archaeological Trust
Historic Environment Record
 

The following information has been provided under the terms and conditions of access as detailed on GGAT’s website www.ggat.org.uk.  Copyright is reserved on all data supplied by the GGAT HER Charitable Trust. All output resulting from the use of the data must acknowledge the source as follows:-
Derived from information held by the GGAT HER Charitable Trust copyright.

The data below is intended to be used for information and research only and is not for use as part of a commercial project.  If you wish to use information derived from material held by the GGAT HER Charitable Trust for publication in printed or multimedia form or to compile resources for commercial use, prior permission must be obtained in writing. For further information or to arrange a visit to the Trust please send an enquiry form http://www.ggat.org.uk/her/english/enquiry_form.html to her@ggat.org.uk.

War Memorial, Somerset Street, Abertillery

Primary Reference Number (PRN) : 11049g
Trust : Glamorgan Gwent
Community : Abertillery
Unitary authority : Blaenau Gwent
NGR : SO2197603747
Site Type (preferred type first) : Modern War memorial
Status :

Summary :
A figure of a single soldier that surmounts bronze panels on three sides of the memorial. The monument was unveiled on 1st december 1926 by Field Marshall The Viscount Allenby. The unveiling was recorded on film and is held by the Imperial War Museum (http://www.britishpathe.com/video/lord-allenby-unveils-abertillery-war-memorial MGH4920). Bronze figure of soldier waving his tin hat in the air (see similar figure at Ebbw Vale of 1924) set on tall two-stage pedestal of grey granite. Pedestal stands on three steps, each tread convex to centre. Bronze plaques to sides of upper stage of pedestal containing several names of the dead under each regiment; added plaques below of those killed in the 1939-45 war. S side has laurel wreath to upper stage of pedestal, set in recessed panel with inset lettering above: "Their name liveth for ever more" and below "To the glorious memory of the men of Abertillery who fell in the Great War 1914-1918. Greater love hath no man than this that a man lays down his life for his friends (John 15 XIII)". On W side is bronze plaque: "This memorial was unveiled by Field Marshall the Viscount Allenby on the 1st day of December in the year of our Lord 1926". Below is plaque referring to the added World War II inscriptions, unveiled 7th November 1954 by Lord Raglan._x000d_
_x000d_
Wedge-shaped enclosure is surrounded by railings to W, E and S sides, with terrace abutting to N. Low plain iron rails set in moulded grey granite copings on low squared rock-faced stone walls. Paired strengthening rails, containing simple trophy motif rising to urn-type finials. Paired entrance gates to narrow S end. Rails and walls continue S for some five metres beyond the gates, acting as retaining wall for higher level of Queen Street. (Cadw listing information)

Description :
A figure of a single soldier that surmounts bronze panels on three sides of the memorial. The monument was unveiled on 1st december 1926 by Field Marshall The Viscount Allenby. The unveiling was recorded on film and is held by the Imperial War Museum (http://www.britishpathe.com/video/lord-allenby-unveils-abertillery-war-memorial MGH4920). Bronze figure of soldier waving his tin hat in the air (see similar figure at Ebbw Vale of 1924) set on tall two-stage pedestal of grey granite. Pedestal stands on three steps, each tread convex to centre. Bronze plaques to sides of upper stage of pedestal containing several names of the dead under each regiment; added plaques below of those killed in the 1939-45 war. S side has laurel wreath to upper stage of pedestal, set in recessed panel with inset lettering above: "Their name liveth for ever more" and below "To the glorious memory of the men of Abertillery who fell in the Great War 1914-1918. Greater love hath no man than this that a man lays down his life for his friends (John 15 XIII)". On W side is bronze plaque: "This memorial was unveiled by Field Marshall the Viscount Allenby on the 1st day of December in the year of our Lord 1926". Below is plaque referring to the added World War II inscriptions, unveiled 7th November 1954 by Lord Raglan._x000d_
_x000d_
Wedge-shaped enclosure is surrounded by railings to W, E and S sides, with terrace abutting to N. Low plain iron rails set in moulded grey granite copings on low squared rock-faced stone walls. Paired strengthening rails, containing simple trophy motif rising to urn-type finials. Paired entrance gates to narrow S end. Rails and walls continue S for some five metres beyond the gates, acting as retaining wall for higher level of Queen Street. (Cadw listing information)

Sources :
Crawford, J. , 2014 , First World War Scoping Study Glamorgan and Gwent

Events :
E004823 : First World War Scoping Study Glamorgan and Gwent (year : 2014)

Related PRNs :

Compiled date :


November 18, 2018, 4:20 pm - HTML file produced from GGAT HER Charitable Trust Ltd. Heathfield House, Heathfield, Swansea SA1 Tel. 01792 655208; Fax 01792 474469 website: www.ggat.org.uk  email: her@ggat.org.uk Registered Charity no. 505609
Data supplied by in partnership with Local Authorities, Cadw and the partners of ENDEX © GGAT HER Charitable Trust, 2018 (and in part © Crown, 2018).