The Glamorgan-Gwent Archaeological Trust
Historic Environment Record
 

The following information has been provided under the terms and conditions of access as detailed on GGAT’s website www.ggat.org.uk.  Copyright is reserved on all data supplied by the GGAT HER Charitable Trust. All output resulting from the use of the data must acknowledge the source as follows:-
Derived from information held by the GGAT HER Charitable Trust copyright.

The data below is intended to be used for information and research only and is not for use as part of a commercial project.  If you wish to use information derived from material held by the GGAT HER Charitable Trust for publication in printed or multimedia form or to compile resources for commercial use, prior permission must be obtained in writing. For further information or to arrange a visit to the Trust please send an enquiry form http://www.ggat.org.uk/her/english/enquiry_form.html to her@ggat.org.uk.

Canal Wall, Swansea

Primary Reference Number (PRN) : 10437w
Trust : Glamorgan Gwent
Community : St Thomas
Unitary authority : Swansea
NGR : SS 66337 94405
Site Type (preferred type first) : POST MEDIEVAL CANAL FEATURE

Summary :
A large canal wall consisting of coursed limestone which appears to have been wholly buried by industrial waste tip events both on its eastern and western sides, likely from small drams carrying waste material along the original Scott’s Tramroad and the construction of the Swansea Valley Railway.

Description :
A large canal wall consisting of coursed limestone held in a pinkish white lime mortar matrix and measuring 0.8m wide. The wall is aligned along the eastern edge of the Smith’s Canal (01073.0w), to the south of a canal bridge recorded on historic mapping. An aerial photograph taken in 1946 shows the extent of the large waste tip built (tipped) over the Smith’s Canal and by this time the canal bridge to the north of Wall is no longer visible and presumed buried.

The canal wall appears to have been wholly buried by industrial waste tip events both on its eastern and western sides, likely from small drams carrying waste material along the original Scott’s Tramroad (wagonway), built between 1817 and 1819 (02232.0w), and the construction of the Swansea Valley Railway in 1845 (over the line of Scott’s Tramroad) (Lewis & Langlands 2019).

Sources :
Lewis, R. & Langlands, L. , 2019 , Smith’s Canal, White Rock Copperworks and Silverstack Canal Bridge, Hafod-Morfa Copperworks: Archaeological Field Evaluation

Events :
E008196 : Smith's Canal, White Rock Copperworks, Swansea (year : 2019)

Related records
GGAT Historic Environment Record (HER) 01073.0w

Compiled date : 18-06-2024


April 3, 2025, 12:18 pm - HTML file produced from GGAT HER Charitable Trust Ltd. Heathfield House, Heathfield, Swansea SA1 Tel. 01792 655208; Fax 01792 474469 website: www.ggat.org.uk  email: her@ggat.org.uk Registered Charity no. 505609
Data supplied by in partnership with Local Authorities, Cadw and the partners of ENDEX © GGAT HER Charitable Trust, 2025 (and in part © Crown, 2025).