The Glamorgan-Gwent Archaeological
Trust Historic Environment Record
following information has been provided under the terms and conditions
of access as detailed on GGAT’s website www.ggat.org.uk.
Copyright is reserved on all data supplied by the GGAT HER Charitable Trust.
All output resulting from the use of the data must acknowledge the source
from information held by the GGAT HER Charitable Trust copyright.
data below is intended to be used for information and research only and
is not for use as part of a commercial project. If you wish to use
information derived from material held by the GGAT HER Charitable Trust
for publication in printed or multimedia form or to compile resources for
commercial use, prior permission must be obtained in writing. For further
information or to arrange a visit to the Trust please send an enquiry form
TREFIL QUARRIES (NORTH)
Primary Reference Number (PRN) : 09010g Trust : Glamorgan Gwent Community : Tredegar Unitary authority : Blaenau Gwent NGR : SO1171014010 Site Type (preferred type first) : Post-Medieval QUARRY Status : Scheduled Monument
Summary : Trefil quarry was opened in 1794 by Edward and Jonathon Kendall in order to supply limestone to their ironworks at Beaufort. The area retains quarry faces, well-preserved earthworks and tramways representing phases of quarrying from 1829 to 1919.
Description : Trefil quarry was opened in 1794 by Edward and Jonathon Kendall in order to supply limestone to their ironworks at Beaufort. Later, limestone was carried to ironworks at Beaufort, Ebbw Vale, Sirhowy and Victoria along the Trefil Railroad, to Tredegar along the Tredegar Tramroad and to Rhymny along the Trefil Tramroad. The northern quarries are now all that survive of the whole, retaining individual quarry faces, well-preserved earthworks and tramways representing several phases of limestone quarrying from 1829 to 1919. (See SAM Information report).
01/Desc text/Cadw/New Entry to the Schedule of Monuments/30/03/2007/Copy in further information file.