The Glamorgan-Gwent Archaeological
Trust Historic Environment Record
following information has been provided under the terms and conditions
of access as detailed on GGAT’s website www.ggat.org.uk.
Copyright is reserved on all data supplied by the GGAT HER Charitable Trust.
All output resulting from the use of the data must acknowledge the source
from information held by the GGAT HER Charitable Trust copyright.
data below is intended to be used for information and research only and
is not for use as part of a commercial project. If you wish to use
information derived from material held by the GGAT HER Charitable Trust
for publication in printed or multimedia form or to compile resources for
commercial use, prior permission must be obtained in writing. For further
information or to arrange a visit to the Trust please send an enquiry form
BEDWELLTY PARK WAR MEMORIAL
Primary Reference Number (PRN) : 08876g Trust : Glamorgan Gwent Community : Tredegar Unitary authority : Blaenau Gwent NGR : SO1440208540 Site Type (preferred type first) : Modern War memorial Status : listed building II
Summary : Bedwellty Park is located on the S side of Tredegar town centre. The War Memorial stands near the eastern boundary of the park, facing The Promenade.
Description : Bedwellty Park is located on the S side of Tredegar town centre. The War Memorial stands near the eastern boundary of the park, facing The Promenade. History: Erected c. 1920 as a First World War Memorial. The bronze figure was sculpted by N.A. Trent of the Morris Art Foundry, London. Bedwellty House was presented, along with its grounds, to the people of Tredegar by the Morgan family of Tredegar House in 1901, for recreational purposes. Reason: Listed as an impressively designed war memorial in attractive parkland setting. Exterior: The memorial stands on a small raised square enclosure with ashlar kerb. The structure faces E towards the road, fronted by a flight of ashlar steps. Tall tapering ashlar pedestal, the centre broken forward for bronze figure of a fully kitted soldier, standing against a tall plain Celtic Cross with wheel-head. Soldier depicted presenting arms; signed `N.A. Trent, London. Cast by the Morris Art Foundry, London. Inscription on plinth below reads: `To the Glory of God and the immortal memory of the men of Tredegar who fell in the Great War 1914-1918. They died that we might live' Later inscription below `Also World War 1939-1945'. (01)
Blaenau Gwent County Borough Council , 2003 , Blaenau Gwent Heritage Audit Interim Report 2002-2003
The Handley Partnership , HAAbase built heritage assessment system: Buildings at Risk database
01. Blaenau Gwent County Borough Council (2003), Blaenau Gwent Heritage Audit: Interim Report 2002-2003, Heritage section