The Glamorgan-Gwent Archaeological
Trust Historic Environment Record
following information has been provided under the terms and conditions
of access as detailed on GGAT’s website www.ggat.org.uk.
Copyright is reserved on all data supplied by the GGAT HER Charitable Trust.
All output resulting from the use of the data must acknowledge the source
from information held by the GGAT HER Charitable Trust copyright.
data below is intended to be used for information and research only and
is not for use as part of a commercial project. If you wish to use
information derived from material held by the GGAT HER Charitable Trust
for publication in printed or multimedia form or to compile resources for
commercial use, prior permission must be obtained in writing. For further
information or to arrange a visit to the Trust please send an enquiry form
Primary Reference Number (PRN) : 06820w Trust : Glamorgan Gwent Community : Briton Ferry Unitary authority : Neath Port Talbot NGR : SS7647594604 Site Type (preferred type first) : Post-Medieval colliery Status :
Summary : Eskyn Colliery was established by the Eskyn Colliery Company Ltd during the early part of the 20th century. The Ordnance Survey 3rd edition map (1918) first records the colliery as having an engine-house, tramroad incline plane, engine-house leat and spoil tips
Description : Eskyn Colliery was established by the Eskyn Colliery Company Ltd during the early part of the 20th century. The Ordnance Survey 3rd edition map (1918) first records the colliery as having an engine-house, tramroad incline plane, engine-house leat and spoil tips ; prior to this the Ordnance Survey 2nd edition map (1899) records the area as agricultural land. All that remains of the colliery features are the engine house, the sloping earthwork of the tramroad incline and the concrete-topped rubble-walled slant at its base, an engine-house leat, and the spoil tips.
A tramroad connected the colliery incline with the South Wales Mineral Railway (SWMR) at the Tir Evan Llwyd sidings. The exact date the colliery commenced mining is unknown but an agreement between the SWMR and the Eskyn Colliery Company concerning a siding at Tir Evan Llwyd in 1915 suggests it must have either been working, or at least commencing work, at this time. The Ordnance Survey 4th edition map (1936) shows the colliery to be disused, the tramroads removed along with all of the buildings. However, the colliery may have ended its working life at a much earlier date as files of dissolved companies, held by the National Archives (BT31/24504/154035), list Eskyn Colliery as dissolved in 1919.
Lewis, R , 2006 , Tir Gofal HE2 Report: Gelligaer Fach Farm, Cimla, Neath