The Glamorgan-Gwent Archaeological
Historic Environment Record
following information has been provided under the terms and conditions
of access as detailed on GGAT’s website www.ggat.org.uk.
Copyright is reserved on all data supplied by the GGAT HER Charitable Trust.
All output resulting from the use of the data must acknowledge the source
from information held by the GGAT HER Charitable Trust copyright.
data below is intended to be used for information and research only and
is not for use as part of a commercial project. If you wish to use
information derived from material held by the GGAT HER Charitable Trust
for publication in printed or multimedia form or to compile resources for
commercial use, prior permission must be obtained in writing. For further
information or to arrange a visit to the Trust please send an enquiry form
DYNE STEEL INCLINED PLANEPrimary Reference Number (PRN) : 05493.0g
Trust : Glamorgan Gwent
Community : Blaenavon
Unitary authority : Torfaen
NGR : SO23501060
Site Type (preferred type first) : Post-Medieval Tramway
Status : Scheduled Monument
Ironbridge assessment Pwll Du 1994 - Dyne Steel Inclined Plane: The remains of an inclined plane on a north-east/south-west orientation, dismantled by 1880.
Ironbridge assessment Pwll Du 1994 - Dyne Steel Inclined Plane: The remains of an inclined plane on a north-east / south-west orientation. The remains are divided into two distinct sections. One runs north-east from the site of New Pit (Mi13) for approximately 750m, climbing steeply until it reaches the remains of a ruined building on the top of the ridge. The route of the incline is clearly visible, although the trackbed is poorly preserved and no fixtures remain. As the incline starts to descend towards Pwll Du, its route has been destroyed by wartime opencasting and metalling to provide vehicle access to the opencasting. It does not appear again until it has crossed the line of the road from Pwll Du to Blaenavon. Here a well preserved section, approximately 50m long, runs towards the Lamb Inn.
The Dyne Steel Incline was named after Thomas Dyne Steel, the Blaenavon Company's engineer who was appointed in 1848. The incline was built c.1850 to solve the transport problems caused by the Pwll Du tunnel, which had become something of a bottleneck (Rattenbury, 1980, 39). Dyne Steel left a detailed account of how the incline worked in his memoirs (Dyne Steel, 1893, 44-45). The incline had two lines of rails and upon these were mountedfoitr boilerplate trucks. Each boiler plate truck was capable of carrying four loaded coal trams. The whole operation was powered by a winding engine and drum with four wire ropes, situated at the summit of !he incline. Dyne-Steel recorded that on one occasion a truck came loose on the Blaenavon side of the incline, ran down the slope and at the bottom 'cut through all embankment 25 to 30 feet wide and 4 feet to four feet 6 inches deep and half buried itself at thefoot'. By 1880 the incline had been dismantled.
Richardson, S. , 1994 , Pwll Du, Gwent; An Archaeological Desk Top Assessment
Ironbridge assessment Pwll du 1994
E003587 : Dyne Steel's Incline, Blaenavon (year : 2009-2010)
E003574 : Forgotten Landscapes Project (year : 2010)
E003864 : Pwll Du, Gwent; An Archaeological Desk Top Assessment (year : 1994)
Related PRNs :
Compiled date : 09-03-1998
July 23, 2017, 12:47 pm
- HTML file produced from GGAT HER Charitable Trust Ltd. Heathfield House,
Heathfield, Swansea SA1 Tel. 01792 655208; Fax 01792 474469 website: www.ggat.org.uk
email: email@example.com Registered Charity no. 505609
supplied by in partnership with Local Authorities, Cadw and the partners
of ENDEX © GGAT HER Charitable Trust, 2017 (and in part © Crown,