The Glamorgan-Gwent Archaeological
Trust Historic Environment Record
following information has been provided under the terms and conditions
of access as detailed on GGAT’s website www.ggat.org.uk.
Copyright is reserved on all data supplied by the GGAT HER Charitable Trust.
All output resulting from the use of the data must acknowledge the source
from information held by the GGAT HER Charitable Trust copyright.
data below is intended to be used for information and research only and
is not for use as part of a commercial project. If you wish to use
information derived from material held by the GGAT HER Charitable Trust
for publication in printed or multimedia form or to compile resources for
commercial use, prior permission must be obtained in writing. For further
information or to arrange a visit to the Trust please send an enquiry form
The Bath House, Margam
Primary Reference Number (PRN) : 04796w Trust : Glamorgan Gwent Community : Margam Unitary authority : Neath Port Talbot NGR : SS80308692 Site Type (preferred type first) : Medieval Bath house Status : Scheduled Monument , listed building II*
Summary : This medieval bath house is located close to Margam Abbey, reputedly utilising a holy or healing well known as Ffynnon Gyffyr (lit. medicinal spring) which suggests that it was formerly used for healing certain ailments (Jones 1954:189).
Description : This medieval bath house is located close to Margam Abbey, reputedly utilising a holy or healing well known as Ffynnon Gyffyr (lit. medicinal spring) which suggests that it was formerly used for healing certain ailments (Jones 1954:189). Whether this spring was 'controlled' by the monks of Margam Abbey and used as a means of raising funds by people making payments to the Abbey for bathing there is not known. The spring's use might pre-date the monastery though the present bath house structure was probably built in the 14th or 15th century to act as a baptistery for the congregation of the nearby Hen Eglwys. The bath house is of rubble stone construction with a vaulted roof. The central pool is L-shaped, about 1m in depth with a water inlet at one end and steps leading down into it at the other. Some of the original flagstones are still present and much of the roof retains a coating of limewash. The bath house has been scheduled as it is in very good condition and represents an important surviving element from the Margam Abbey estate of the medieval period. )
1954/JONES/F/THE HOLY WELLS OF WALES/p189
Evans EM, 2003-04, GGAT 73 Early Medieval Ecclesiastical Sites Project
03/Desc Text/Cadw/Full Management Report /11/01/2007/Copy in further information file.