The Glamorgan-Gwent Archaeological
Trust Historic Environment Record
following information has been provided under the terms and conditions
of access as detailed on GGAT’s website www.ggat.org.uk.
Copyright is reserved on all data supplied by the GGAT HER Charitable Trust.
All output resulting from the use of the data must acknowledge the source
from information held by the GGAT HER Charitable Trust copyright.
data below is intended to be used for information and research only and
is not for use as part of a commercial project. If you wish to use
information derived from material held by the GGAT HER Charitable Trust
for publication in printed or multimedia form or to compile resources for
commercial use, prior permission must be obtained in writing. For further
information or to arrange a visit to the Trust please send an enquiry form
IRONSTONE QUARRIES AT CARREG MAEN TARO
Primary Reference Number (PRN) : 03552g Trust : Glamorgan Gwent Community : Blaenavon Unitary authority : Torfaen NGR : SO23891129 Site Type (preferred type first) : Post-Medieval Quarry Status : Scheduled Monument , listed building II
Summary : Ironbridge Assessment Pwll Du 1994 Carreg Maen Taro : Quarry. A well preserved quarry, rectangular in plan, approximately 100m long and 120m in width with a face 7rn in height. The quarry contains a number of remains and is one of the best preserved fe
Description : A well preserved area of early ironstone workings within the mineral extraction landscape of Blaenavon. Finds of tramroad plates suggest area was worked soon after 1800, with iron ore extracted through 'patch working' and transported to ironworks by tramroad. Area contains quarry faces, hand tips, tramroad routes, coal & iron ore levels, and an extensive system of watercourses connected with scouring. Two steam engines were also in operation within the area of SO 2384 1118 and SO 2394 1127. (02)
Ironbridge Assessment Pwll Du 1994 Carreg Maen Taro : Quarry. A well preserved quarry, rectangular in plan, approximately 100m long and 120m in width with a face 7rn in height. The quarry contains a number of remains and is one of the best preserved features on the site. A tramway (Tr5)(KL 20/2) enters the quarry from the south and runs north (KL 2011), terminating in a ruined stone structure built into the quarry face (S.M.R 3552g; KL 42/1). To the south of this structure, again built into the quarry face, is a very ruinous stone structure (S.M.R 3552g., KL 4412). A number of tramway beds are visible within the quarry, including one which branches off from the main line in a loop. The quarry contains the remains of three small pools, the most eastern of which has the remains of a small stone structure beside it (S.M.R 3553g; YL 4411). 'Re spoil from the quarry was tipped to the south, where an area of fan ridge spoil tips is visible. An ironstone quarry, probably working the Black Pins outcrop. The date is uncertain, but as the tramroad running into it probably dates from at least the 1840's (see Tr5), it may belong to the same period. The quarry is shown as disused on the 1880 O.S map and appears to have been partially back filled as it once joined with the quarrying at the top of the Dyne Steel Incline (Qu8). The ruined structure adjacent to the pool has been identified as a winding engine (KL 4411) perhaps for use on the tramroad running into it. The two structures against the northern face of the quarry have been identified as a works' shed (KL 4211) and an engine house (KL 4412), although it is not specified where the evidence for this identification comes from. The structures were probably all in a ruinous state by the late nineteenth century as none are shown on the 1880 O.S map.
see also PRN03553g
Richardson, S. , 1994 , Pwll Du, Gwent; An Archaeological Desk Top Assessment
02/MM Desc Text/CADW/ Wakelin AP/2000
01/Ironbridge assessment Pwll du 1994
Events : E003864 : Pwll Du, Gwent; An Archaeological Desk Top Assessment (year : 1994)