The Glamorgan-Gwent Archaeological
Trust Historic Environment Record
following information has been provided under the terms and conditions
of access as detailed on GGAT’s website www.ggat.org.uk.
Copyright is reserved on all data supplied by the GGAT HER Charitable Trust.
All output resulting from the use of the data must acknowledge the source
from information held by the GGAT HER Charitable Trust copyright.
data below is intended to be used for information and research only and
is not for use as part of a commercial project. If you wish to use
information derived from material held by the GGAT HER Charitable Trust
for publication in printed or multimedia form or to compile resources for
commercial use, prior permission must be obtained in writing. For further
information or to arrange a visit to the Trust please send an enquiry form
NEWBRIDGE BEAM ENGINE
Primary Reference Number (PRN) : 02405m Trust : Glamorgan Gwent Community : Pontypridd Unitary authority : Rhondda, Cynon, Taff NGR : ST08268852 Site Type (preferred type first) : Post-Medieval Engine Status : Scheduled Monument
Summary : A beam winding engine from Newbridge (or Gelliwion) Colliery in Pontypridd, re-erected in its present position outside the former Treforest School of Mines in 1920. Built in 1845 by the coalowner John Calvert, and remained in working order until 1919.
Description : A beam winding engine from Newbridge (or Gelliwion) Colliery in Pontypridd, re-erected in its present position outside the former Treforest School of Mines in 1920. Built in 1845 by the coalowner John Calvert, and remained in working order until 1919. The beam is 17ft long and the flywheel 13.5ft in diameter with six oval arms. The crank, main connecting rod, beam, cylinder and other parts are all of cast iron.