The Glamorgan-Gwent Archaeological
Trust Historic Environment Record
following information has been provided under the terms and conditions
of access as detailed on GGAT’s website www.ggat.org.uk.
Copyright is reserved on all data supplied by the GGAT HER Charitable Trust.
All output resulting from the use of the data must acknowledge the source
from information held by the GGAT HER Charitable Trust copyright.
data below is intended to be used for information and research only and
is not for use as part of a commercial project. If you wish to use
information derived from material held by the GGAT HER Charitable Trust
for publication in printed or multimedia form or to compile resources for
commercial use, prior permission must be obtained in writing. For further
information or to arrange a visit to the Trust please send an enquiry form
CWM LLANWENARTH TRAMROAD BRIDGE
Primary Reference Number (PRN) : 02349g Trust : Glamorgan Gwent Community : Llanfoist Fawr Unitary authority : Monmouthshire NGR : SO2596313347 Site Type (preferred type first) : Post-Medieval Bridge Status : listed building II, Scheduled Monument
Summary : Tramroad built to carry Bailey's Tramroad across Cwm Llanwenarth, built by Crawshaw Bailey and opened in 1821 from Nantyglo Ironworks to the Brecknock and Abergavenny Canal at Govilon.
Description : Tramroad bridge situated to the southwest of Govilon and the disused railway line. Located in woodland and spanning the stream that runs down Cwm Llanwenarth valley. Built to carry Bailey's Tramroad across Cwm Llanwenarth, built by Crawshaw Bailey and opened in 1821 from Nantyglo Ironworks to the Brecknock and Abergavenny Canal at Govilon. The line of the tramroad at this point followed a loop along the contour of the valley. It was superseded when the Merthyr, Tredegar and Abergavenny Branch line opened in 1862. It consists of a substantial tramroad bridge built of local coursed rubble. The semicircular arch has dressed stone voussoirs and the parapets are swept out at either end. It is now overgrown. Listed in 1996 for its special interest as a surviving early 19th century tramroad bridge.
1996/CADW/LIST OF BUILDINGS OF SPECIAL ARCHITECTURAL OR HISTORIC INTEREST/THE BOROUGH OF MONMOUTH/LIST No 140/RESURVEY C/THE COMMUNITY OF LLANFOIST FAWR
1990/HUGHES/S/THE BRECON FOREST TRAMROADS/RCAHMW/p322
1980/RATTENBURY/G/TRAMROADS OF THE BRECKNOCK AND ABERGAVENNY CANAL/p53