The Glamorgan-Gwent Archaeological Trust
Historic Environment Record
 

The following information has been provided under the terms and conditions of access as detailed on GGAT’s website www.ggat.org.uk.  Copyright is reserved on all data supplied by the GGAT HER Charitable Trust. All output resulting from the use of the data must acknowledge the source as follows:-
Derived from information held by the GGAT HER Charitable Trust copyright.

The data below is intended to be used for information and research only and is not for use as part of a commercial project.  If you wish to use information derived from material held by the GGAT HER Charitable Trust for publication in printed or multimedia form or to compile resources for commercial use, prior permission must be obtained in writing. For further information or to arrange a visit to the Trust please send an enquiry form http://www.ggat.org.uk/her/english/enquiry_form.html to her@ggat.org.uk.

ST JOHN'S CHURCH AT ABERGAVENNY

Primary Reference Number (PRN) : 01758g
Trust : Glamorgan Gwent
Community : Abergavenny
Unitary authority : Monmouthshire
NGR : SO2983914198
Site Type (preferred type first) : POST MEDIEVAL GRAMMAR SCHOOL / Medieval Church
Status : listed building II

Summary :
The medieval parish church of Abergavenny, replaced as such after the Reformation by the priory church of St Mary; the building was then used for the grammar school.

Description :
The medieval parish church of Abergavenny, replaced as such after the Reformation by the priory church of St Mary; the building was then used for the grammar school. Brook (1988, 77) notes that the only documentary references are late (she has St Mary as the parish church and St John's as a chapel).

The grammar school was established by Henry VIII in 1543. It was to have a schoolmaster and an usher, and was supported by the tithes of a number of parishes in northern Monmouthshire that had previously gone to Usk nunnery and other monasteries (Bradney 1906, 172).

Evans 2003: GGAT 73 Early-Medieval Ecclesiastical Sites Project database

Sources :
Bradney, J A , 1906 , A History of Monmouthshire: The Hundred of Abergavenny (pt 2a)
Brook, D , 1988 , The early Christian church in Gwent , Monmouthshire Antiquary : 5 : 67-84
Evans EM, 2003-04, GGAT 73 Early Medieval Ecclesiastical Sites Project

Events :
E001386 : Early medieval ecclesiastical sites in Southeast Wales desk based assessment (year : 2004)

Related PRNs :

Compiled date : 12-03-2004


November 21, 2018, 3:58 pm - HTML file produced from GGAT HER Charitable Trust Ltd. Heathfield House, Heathfield, Swansea SA1 Tel. 01792 655208; Fax 01792 474469 website: www.ggat.org.uk  email: her@ggat.org.uk Registered Charity no. 505609
Data supplied by in partnership with Local Authorities, Cadw and the partners of ENDEX © GGAT HER Charitable Trust, 2018 (and in part © Crown, 2018).