The Glamorgan-Gwent Archaeological
Trust Historic Environment Record
following information has been provided under the terms and conditions
of access as detailed on GGAT’s website www.ggat.org.uk.
Copyright is reserved on all data supplied by the GGAT HER Charitable Trust.
All output resulting from the use of the data must acknowledge the source
from information held by the GGAT HER Charitable Trust copyright.
data below is intended to be used for information and research only and
is not for use as part of a commercial project. If you wish to use
information derived from material held by the GGAT HER Charitable Trust
for publication in printed or multimedia form or to compile resources for
commercial use, prior permission must be obtained in writing. For further
information or to arrange a visit to the Trust please send an enquiry form
Twyn y Gaer, Cwmyoy
Primary Reference Number (PRN) : 01713g Trust : Glamorgan Gwent Community : Crucorney Unitary authority : Monmouthshire NGR : SO29402195 Site Type (preferred type first) : Iron Age Hillfort Status : Scheduled Monument
Summary : Defended Iron Age settlement with two apparent size contractions identified from a private aerial photograph taken in 1999.
Description : This stronghold occupies a hill the highest part of which is 1399 feet above sea leve, and 750 feet above a river which flows S within half a mile W, and 800 feet above a stream which flows W by S within half a mile S: the ground also falls on other sides, but on the NNW continues as a ridge on a lower level. The position chosen has a natural protection on all sides, especially on the S. The work is one of an unusual make being divided into three enclosures. The entrenchments are not of a powerful build, but are in a fair state of presevation: the ramparts are mostly piles of stones more or less overgrown with grass etc. The ramparts were once higher and the ditches deeper. Subsoil, Stone. Commands the district, or would so command except that there are a good many trees below: the country is also undulating. (Downman 1912; OS Record Card)
The hillfort is as described above. It is grass and fern covered and contains no visble trace of internal habitations. The average width of the ramparts and of the ditches is 9.0m. The average overall width of the cross banks and ditches is 12.0m. The banks show a strong stone content. The inner banks has deteriorated to a scarp across most of the south and south-west sides. (Edwards 1957; OS Record Card)
Finds from the site to date include La Tene style brooches, querns (saddle and beehive) decorative beads, spindle whorls, flints, crucibles and clay ovens. Also a metal spearhead and a metal pin thought to be a carriage pin. (DRB 1973; OS Record Card)
Defended Iron Age settlement with two apparent size contractions identified from a private aerial photograph taken in 1999. (02)
Situated on a hilltop at the southern end of the Vale of Ewyas, the enclosure occupies a commanding position, with moorland grazing on the steep sloped which fall away on all sides. The enclosure is oblong in shape with the long axis aligned east-west, the internal area divided into three separate enclosures by two sets of banks and ditches running north-south. The average width of the ramparts and ditches is 9m an the average overall width of the cross banks and ditches is 12m. The banks show a strong stone content and the interior of the fort is slightly convex, with little sign of any features, although there are a few shallow hollows in the northern area. The passage entrance is located to the east and is approximately 7m wide. Entrance through the cross banks are not quite in line with this eastern entrance, both sitting slightly south of the alignment, but in alignment with each other. The eastern bank has a simple 9m wide entrance, the western, more curved like a passage entrance, curving to the west, and with a 7m wide gap. (Wiggins 2006)