The Glamorgan-Gwent Archaeological
Trust Historic Environment Record
following information has been provided under the terms and conditions
of access as detailed on GGAT’s website www.ggat.org.uk.
Copyright is reserved on all data supplied by the GGAT HER Charitable Trust.
All output resulting from the use of the data must acknowledge the source
from information held by the GGAT HER Charitable Trust copyright.
data below is intended to be used for information and research only and
is not for use as part of a commercial project. If you wish to use
information derived from material held by the GGAT HER Charitable Trust
for publication in printed or multimedia form or to compile resources for
commercial use, prior permission must be obtained in writing. For further
information or to arrange a visit to the Trust please send an enquiry form
LLYNFI CAMBRIAN I/WORKS (Maesteg Blast Furnace)
Primary Reference Number (PRN) : 01321m Trust : Glamorgan Gwent Community : Maesteg Unitary authority : Bridgend NGR : SS8485591602 Site Type (preferred type first) : Post-Medieval Iron works Status : Scheduled Monument
Summary : Works built in 1830s, sold and changed name several times. Largest period of expansion in the 1850s, production ceased c.1885. A surviving furnace and engine house are scheduled. Excavation of the site 2006-07 revealed extensive remains below ground demonstrating phasing of the site from the 1830s to 20th century.
Description : Cambrian Ironworks, built in C19th, consist of a 50ft square base and stack of the furnace, and of the large enginehouse.
The works were built by J. H. Allen's partnership, the Cambrian Iron and Spelter Co in the 1830s. The Tithe map of 1842 shows two furnaces. The unfinished works were put up for sale in 1844, the name changed to the Llynvi Iron Co. A new forge and rail mill were in operation in 1846. In 1852 the works were sold again and company name changed to the Llynvi Vale Iron Company. The works were expanded and production increased during the 1850s, later being amalgamated with the Maesteg Ironworks. Production by the 1860s included pig and bar iron, rails, angle iron, gas strip, hoops, sheets and nail rod. In 1866 the name was changed again to the Llynvi Coal and Iron Co. Ltd. Production finally ceased in 1885. By 1914 three of the blast furnaces had been dismantled, leaving the present surviving furnace, now a Scheduled Monument, along with a surviving engine house (Longman 2009).
Excavation of the area during 2006-07 revealed the phasing of the ironworks site from the late 1830s to the 20th century. Remains included the foundations of the casting house and blast furnaces 3 and 4 from 1839, mills and forges c. 1845-6, puddling forge, mill and boiler house dating to the 1850s, extension of the rail mill c.1872, demolition material and material and structures relating to subsequent use of the site as railway sidings, bus depot and industrial estate. For a full history and detail of the ironworks please see Longman 2009.
Cadw , Cadw Scheduled Monument Record
Longman, T. , 2009 , Archaeological Excavation at Llynfi Vale Iron Works (New Works), Llynfi Rd, Maesteg
Young, T. , 2009 , Archaeological Excavation at Llynfi Vale Iron Works (New Works), Llynfi Rd, Maesteg
01/PM Mention////HMS Newsletter/Blast Furnaces in UK;
03/MM Letter//Welsh Office/1981//;
02/PM Desc Text///1980/SWWIAS Newsletter/;
05/MM Record Sheet/RCAHM//1982//;
04/MM Record Card/OS//1978/SS 89 SW 15/;
07/MM Record Card/OS//1982/SS 89 NW 15/;
08/MM Desc Text/CADW/Whittle E/1986/AM 107/
06/PM Mention///1981/Archaeol Cambrensis/Vol103 pp153-161;
09/Desc Text/Cadw/ Full Management Report/2005/Copy in further information file