The Glamorgan-Gwent Archaeological
Trust Historic Environment Record
following information has been provided under the terms and conditions
of access as detailed on GGAT’s website www.ggat.org.uk.
Copyright is reserved on all data supplied by the GGAT HER Charitable Trust.
All output resulting from the use of the data must acknowledge the source
from information held by the GGAT HER Charitable Trust copyright.
data below is intended to be used for information and research only and
is not for use as part of a commercial project. If you wish to use
information derived from material held by the GGAT HER Charitable Trust
for publication in printed or multimedia form or to compile resources for
commercial use, prior permission must be obtained in writing. For further
information or to arrange a visit to the Trust please send an enquiry form
Primary Reference Number (PRN) : 01142g Trust : Glamorgan Gwent Community : Portskewett Unitary authority : Monmouthshire NGR : ST50558732 Site Type (preferred type first) : Iron Age Hillfort Status : Scheduled Monument
Summary : Iron Age camp situated on the shore of the Bristol Channel at the southern end of the village of Sudbrook, formerly comprising triple banks and ditches which have been damaged through erosion and development. Also occupied in the Roman period.
Description : The camp is situated on the shore of the Bristol Channel at the southern end of the village of Sudbrook. Its southern boundary is formed by a small sea cliff. It is grass and scrub covered, with the interior all grass and mostly taken up by a playing field. The camp is roughly triangular, bounded on the north-east and north-west by banks and ditches. It formerly comprised triple banks and ditches which have been much eroded since, and which have also been built over/infilled by encroaching housing and gardens, and a 12-14th century church and graveyard, to the north.
The camp is situated on the shore of the Bristol Channel at the southern end of the village of Sudbrook. Its southern boundary is formed by a small sea cliff. It is grass and scrub covered, with the interior all grass and mostly taken up by a playing field. The camp is roughly triangular, bounded on the north-east and north-west by banks and ditches, with a level interior. Considered to formerly have had triple banks and ditches on all sides, much has now been eroded or encroached upon. The plan by Spencer and Nash-Williams in 1936 certainly shows triple defences on the northwest side, although even by that time, on the northeast side housing developments had encroached and almost built over the (presumable) outer defence, and of the middle defensive ditch or bank, there is no sign. The sea cliff has eroded much in parts and has subsequently been built up with rubble from the 1873-86 Severn Tunnel construction. The Spencer/Nash-Williams plan also shows to prehistoric hut floors, and a possible barrow, however further investigation in 2000 suggests that the location of the huts is not definite and can only be seen as occupation scatter. The medieval church to the east of this site is now ruined, with the last burial being in 1757 when the church was recorded as 'decayed'. (Wiggins 2006)