The Glamorgan-Gwent Archaeological
Trust Historic Environment Record
following information has been provided under the terms and conditions
of access as detailed on GGAT’s website www.ggat.org.uk.
Copyright is reserved on all data supplied by the GGAT HER Charitable Trust.
All output resulting from the use of the data must acknowledge the source
from information held by the GGAT HER Charitable Trust copyright.
data below is intended to be used for information and research only and
is not for use as part of a commercial project. If you wish to use
information derived from material held by the GGAT HER Charitable Trust
for publication in printed or multimedia form or to compile resources for
commercial use, prior permission must be obtained in writing. For further
information or to arrange a visit to the Trust please send an enquiry form
Primary Reference Number (PRN) : 00814g Trust : Glamorgan Gwent Community : Raglan Unitary authority : Monmouthshire NGR : SO4143308324 Site Type (preferred type first) : Medieval Castle Status : Scheduled Monument , listed building I
Summary : Raglan Castle is one of the best known masonry castles in Wales, and was probably not built before 1250 with no evidence pointing to a pre-existing earth work
Description : Phillips notes that Raglan Castle is one of the best known masonry castles in Wales, and was probably not built before 1250 with no evidence pointing to a pre-existing earth work at Raglan (Phillips 2004).
The castle was accessed by way of the grand terrace. It was an architecturally designed space, which was intended to show the strength of the house of Worcester. The Warl's apartments in the castle would have overlooked this space, as he was housed above the grand entrance of the castle. The grand terrace constituted of a triangular courtyard, focusing on the grand entrance way (Clark, 2005).
Evidence gathered during an archaeological excavation by Cambrian Archaeological Projects Ltd for Cadw in 2006 prior to the construction of a new visitor centre at raglan Castle showed that there was increased building and landscaping activity in the early 17th century both inside and outside the white Gate. This activity ceased at the end of the Civil War (Smith CE, 2006).