The Glamorgan-Gwent Archaeological
Trust Historic Environment Record
following information has been provided under the terms and conditions
of access as detailed on GGAT’s website www.ggat.org.uk.
Copyright is reserved on all data supplied by the GGAT HER Charitable Trust.
All output resulting from the use of the data must acknowledge the source
from information held by the GGAT HER Charitable Trust copyright.
data below is intended to be used for information and research only and
is not for use as part of a commercial project. If you wish to use
information derived from material held by the GGAT HER Charitable Trust
for publication in printed or multimedia form or to compile resources for
commercial use, prior permission must be obtained in writing. For further
information or to arrange a visit to the Trust please send an enquiry form
Primary Reference Number (PRN) : 00720w Trust : Glamorgan Gwent Community : Glyncorrwg Unitary authority : Neath Port Talbot NGR : SS9081098111 Site Type (preferred type first) : Bronze Age Cairn Status : Scheduled Monument
Summary : Described by RCAHMW in 1964 as 'a stony area, 12.2 long from N to S by 7.6m wide, probably a denuded cairn base'. Now an area of slabby blocks of sandstone (<0.4m) with possible edge showing on the N and E but not on the other sides. GGAT 72
Description : Described by RCAHMW in 1964 as 'a stony area, 12.2 long from N to S by 7.6m wide, probably a denuded cairn base'. Now an area of slabby blocks of sandstone (<0.4m) with possible edge showing on the N and E but not on the other sides. In clear area to E of trackway running down UA boundary, and W of fence. 3.5m diameter; max 0.2m high GGAT 72 Prehistoric Funerary and Ritual Sites survey 2001. (1803) Standing stone shown (Source 07/06) (1955) Round cairn, diameter 36' x 1' high. Remains of smaller cairn, diameter 20', adjoining it to the N. Much disturbed. (Source 04) (1956) A flat slab of rock outcrop on the summit of a hill. It is irregularly shaped with average measurements of 1.4m, 1.8m and 0.5m thick. It bears no artificial markings and appears to be entirely a natural feature. (Source 01) (1964) On the summit of a small knoll in open moorland, with wide views in all directions. A stony area, 12.2 long from N to S by 7.6m wide, probably a denuded cairn base. It is raised only slightly above ground level but on the SW a fall of ground gives it an apparent height of 0.9m. There are signs of modern disturbance. (Source 02) (1982) Turf-covered remains of a rouind cairn, 8.0m in diameter, maximum height 0.5m on the SE; average height elsewhere, less than 0.2m. Stone has been thrown off the cairn to the NW, giving the elongated impression described by the RCAHM. A parish boundary, marked by a factory post-and-wire fence, crossses SW of centre in a NW to SE direction. The cairn is constructed of small pieces of flagstone, and stands upon a natural eminence. (Source 06) (1985) The cairn is situated on a small hillock on the crest of the ridge, in an area of rough grass between two forestry plantations. The actual remains of the cairn are very difficult to distinguish as the area has been disturbed by ploughing and by the making of a track, running N-S through it. Consequently the only definite signs of a cairn are a pile of stones just W of the fence which runs alongside the track, and stones in the section at the W side of the track where it has presumably cut into the cairn. There is no sign of an adjoining cairn which was noted in 1955. (Source 04) (1993) This site survives as a large, oval grass-covered mound, capped by a small stone cairn. (Source 03) (1999) This site survives as a large, oval grass-covered mound, capped by a small stone cairn, of which very little now remains. (Source 05)