The Glamorgan-Gwent Archaeological
Trust Historic Environment Record
following information has been provided under the terms and conditions
of access as detailed on GGAT’s website www.ggat.org.uk.
Copyright is reserved on all data supplied by the GGAT HER Charitable Trust.
All output resulting from the use of the data must acknowledge the source
from information held by the GGAT HER Charitable Trust copyright.
data below is intended to be used for information and research only and
is not for use as part of a commercial project. If you wish to use
information derived from material held by the GGAT HER Charitable Trust
for publication in printed or multimedia form or to compile resources for
commercial use, prior permission must be obtained in writing. For further
information or to arrange a visit to the Trust please send an enquiry form
ST MARGARETS CHAPEL
Primary Reference Number (PRN) : 00642w Trust : Glamorgan Gwent Community : Coedffranc Unitary authority : Neath Port Talbot NGR : SS70509398 Site Type (preferred type first) : Medieval Chapel Status : Scheduled Monument
Summary : Chapel of St Margaret's Grange, belonging to Neath Abbey (Williams 2001, 149-50 fig 61, 308).
Description : Chapel of St Margaret's Grange, belonging to Neath Abbey (Williams 2001, 149-50 fig 61, 308). First record of St Margaret's chapel in 1289; excavations before 1931 revealed outline of a building; finds included a stoup, part of a piscina, tiles, stained glass and parts of three female skeletons (OS card OS 79 SW 5); walls still standing (Cadw Field Monument Warden report). Associated with St Margaret's Grange (PRN 906w) and St Margaret's well (PRN 907w) Evans 2003: GGAT 73 Early-Medieval Ecclesiastical Sites Project database
Williams, D H , 2001 , The Welsh Cistercians
Evans EM, 2003-04, GGAT 73 Early Medieval Ecclesiastical Sites Project