The Glamorgan-Gwent Archaeological Trust
Historic Environment Record
 

The following information has been provided under the terms and conditions of access as detailed on GGAT’s website www.ggat.org.uk.  Copyright is reserved on all data supplied by the GGAT HER Charitable Trust. All output resulting from the use of the data must acknowledge the source as follows:-
Derived from information held by the GGAT HER Charitable Trust copyright.

The data below is intended to be used for information and research only and is not for use as part of a commercial project.  If you wish to use information derived from material held by the GGAT HER Charitable Trust for publication in printed or multimedia form or to compile resources for commercial use, prior permission must be obtained in writing. For further information or to arrange a visit to the Trust please send an enquiry form http://www.ggat.org.uk/her/english/enquiry_form.html to her@ggat.org.uk.

CAE'RARFAU

Primary Reference Number (PRN) : 00620m
Trust : Glamorgan Gwent
Community : Pentyrch
Unitary authority : Cardiff
NGR : ST0772582144
Site Type (preferred type first) : Neolithic Chambered tomb
Status : Scheduled Monument

Summary :
The remains of a stone burial chamber, situated on a low spur overlooking the Ely valley to the SW. It is now partly incorporated in a modern wall on the S of a lane, which now forms the driveway to a recently built house.

Description :
The remains of a stone burial chamber, situated on a low spur overlooking the Ely valley to the SW. It is now partly incorporated in a modern wall on the S of a lane, which now forms the driveway to a recently built house. The monument is presently located within the garden flower borders, and is partially overgrown by ivy. It consists of three large slabs of stone - two uprights and a horizontal covering slab, forming a chamber c 1.2m wide and 1.5m high inside. The covering slab, 2m by 1.6m and 0.3m thick, slopes down towards the S and is supported at this end by smaller stones. The upright on the E side is 1.7m high, 2m wide and 0.75m thick at its thickest end nearest the ground. The W slab is 1.7m high, 1.5m wide and 0.3m thick. On the ground inside is a smaller slab, 1m by 0.75m, lying flat. The chamber was regularly limewashed during its use in the past as a coal store; some fragments of limewash are still apparent on the interior surfaces of the chamber.
Dimensions: see descriptive text
(1967/1976) Burial chamber on a low spur at about 75m OD, overlooking the Ely valley to the South-west. It is now partly incorporated in a modern wall on the South of a lane, from which several large stones were removed before 1875. A mound which had been visible on south of the wall was levelled at about the same time.
The remains now consist of a pair of standing slabs, aligned approximatley north-south about 1m apart, and a cover-slab supported only by the eastarn upright and held by the modern wall at it's southern end. The present internal height of the chamber is 1.7m from a flat slab on the floor, which may be the fallen western supporter. The chamber has been regularly lime-washed during use as a coal-store. Pen-tych. (Source 01)

(1979) The burial chamber is generally as described by RCAHM but 0.7m in height not 1.7m (misprint?). It is almost completely obscured by vegetation. (Source 02)

(1985) The burial chamber is situated in a field with a ruined building and piles of stones nearby. A wall runs E-W right up against its S side, and right next to it on the E side is a raised platform of concrete blocks up against the wall.
The chamber consists of three large slabs of stone - two uprights and one across the two, forming a rectangular chamber c.1.2m wide by 1.5m high inside. The covering slab, 2m by1.6m, and 0.3m thick, slopes down towards the S and is supported at this end by smaller stones. The upright on the E side is 1.7m high, 2m wide, and 0.75m thick at its thicker end nearest the ground. The slab on the W is 1.7m high, 1.5m wide, and 0.3m thick. On the ground inside is a smaller slab, 1m by 0.75m, lying flat. (Source 09)
GGAT 72 Prehistoric Funerary and Ritual Sites Project 2003

Sources :
01/PM List/RCAHM/1976/Glam Invent/No41
02/MM Record Card/OS/1956/ST 08 SE 2
03/PM Desc Text/Daniel GE/1950/Prehist Chamber Tombs/p20
04/PH Desc Text/Lukis JW/1875/Archaeol Cambrensis/pp181-2
05/MM Photo/GGAT/Lewis W/1979-80
08/MM Air Photo/GGAT/Newman R/1986
07/PM Desc Text/Grimes WF/1984/Glam County Hist/Vol2 p147
06/MM Mention/GGAT/1982-83/Annual Report/p82
10/MM Map/Cadw/1987/1:2500
09/MM Desc Text/Cadw/Whittle E/1989/AM107
02/MM Record Card/OS/1979/ST 08 SE 2
09/MM Desc Text/Cadw/Whittle E/1985/AM107
Pm desc text/Evans EM/2003/GGAT 72 Prehistoric Funerary and Ritual Sites Project
14/Desc Text/Cadw/Full Management Report/2007/Copy in further information file.

Events :

Related PRNs : 93016, 1532m

Compiled date : 01-08-1977


December 12, 2018, 2:49 am - HTML file produced from GGAT HER Charitable Trust Ltd. Heathfield House, Heathfield, Swansea SA1 Tel. 01792 655208; Fax 01792 474469 website: www.ggat.org.uk  email: her@ggat.org.uk Registered Charity no. 505609
Data supplied by in partnership with Local Authorities, Cadw and the partners of ENDEX © GGAT HER Charitable Trust, 2018 (and in part © Crown, 2018).