The Glamorgan-Gwent Archaeological
Trust Historic Environment Record
following information has been provided under the terms and conditions
of access as detailed on GGAT’s website www.ggat.org.uk.
Copyright is reserved on all data supplied by the GGAT HER Charitable Trust.
All output resulting from the use of the data must acknowledge the source
from information held by the GGAT HER Charitable Trust copyright.
data below is intended to be used for information and research only and
is not for use as part of a commercial project. If you wish to use
information derived from material held by the GGAT HER Charitable Trust
for publication in printed or multimedia form or to compile resources for
commercial use, prior permission must be obtained in writing. For further
information or to arrange a visit to the Trust please send an enquiry form
NAABOTH'S VINEYARD 1
Primary Reference Number (PRN) : 00612m Trust : Glamorgan Gwent Community : Llanharry Unitary authority : Rhondda, Cynon, Taff NGR : ST00668069 Site Type (preferred type first) : Bronze Age Round barrow Status : Scheduled Monument
Summary : One of a pair of round barrows (PRN 4564m) on low ground in the Border Vale. Access could not be negotiated and the monument was concealed from the road by the hedge; measurements from Glamorgan Inventory. Details of siting could however be recorded.
Description : One of a pair of round barrows (PRN 4564m) on low ground in the Border Vale. Access could not be negotiated and the monument was concealed from the road by the hedge; measurements from Glamorgan Inventory.. Details of siting could however be recorded. During road-widening in 1929, which destroyed the W half of the barrow, a rectangular stone cist 1.3x 0.7m by 0.6m deep was discovered, containing the crouched skeleton of a man, lying on the right side with head to the N and a beaker against its back (Nash-Williams 1930). Reference: Nash-Williams, V E, 1930, A Beaker burial from Llanharry, Glamorgan, Archaeol Cambrensis 85, 402-5 Dimensions: 24.4m diameter (1956) A low spread grass-covered ditchless mound, the western half of which has been destroyed by a modern road. It has a diameter of 30.0m and a maximum height of 0.3m. The site is now occupied by the eastern retaining wall of the road. Unusually sited on the flor of a shallow valley. (Source 01) (1963/1976) A circular grass-grown mound, about 24.4m in diameter, rather ploughed down. The W half has been destroyed by road-widening which took place in 1929. During this, a rectangular stone cist was discovered, 1.3m long by 0.7m wide by 0.6m deep. It contained the crouched skeleton of a man, lying on the right side with head to the N. Against the back of the skeleton was a beaker. A flint flake was found in soil thrown out from excavation. (Source 02/07) NO FIELD MONUMNENT WARDEN REPORT IN FI FILE GGAT 72 Prehistoric Funerary and Ritual Sites Project