The Glamorgan-Gwent Archaeological
Trust Historic Environment Record
following information has been provided under the terms and conditions
of access as detailed on GGAT’s website www.ggat.org.uk.
Copyright is reserved on all data supplied by the GGAT HER Charitable Trust.
All output resulting from the use of the data must acknowledge the source
from information held by the GGAT HER Charitable Trust copyright.
data below is intended to be used for information and research only and
is not for use as part of a commercial project. If you wish to use
information derived from material held by the GGAT HER Charitable Trust
for publication in printed or multimedia form or to compile resources for
commercial use, prior permission must be obtained in writing. For further
information or to arrange a visit to the Trust please send an enquiry form
MAGOR CHURCHYARD CROSS
Primary Reference Number (PRN) : 00452g Trust : Glamorgan Gwent Community : Magor With Undy Unitary authority : Monmouthshire NGR : ST4253087018 Site Type (preferred type first) : Medieval Churchyard cross Status : Scheduled Monument , listed building II
Summary : Remains of a cross on the south side of the church consists of a base and two broken steps 1ft high and 8ft 6 ins and 5ft 6ins square. Socket stone not found.
Description : Remains of a cross on the south side of the church consists of a base and two broken steps 1ft high and 8ft 6 ins and 5ft 6ins square. Socket stone not found.
2 steps; socket stone square with chamfered edge. Evans 1997 GGAT 51 Historic Churches Project
The cross base in the churchyard of St Mary's is a two step high platform surmounted by a moulded rectangular socket stone. The lower step measures 2.90m north-south and 2.70m east-west, and is made from blocks of varying sizes that may have been reused from elsewhere. The upper step measures 1.90m north-south by 1.70m east-west, made from blocks varying more greatly in size than the lower step, and also varying in material. The cores of both have been loosely packed with rubble and earth, including shards of medieval pottery and lime mortar which has been shown by examination to be characteristic of the 18th and early 19th centuries. The socket stone is set centrally and measures 0.7m square at its base, 0.8m square at its upper rim, and stands 0.46m in height. This is set upon the core of platform, making it likely that it was never intended to support a stone cross. There is also an apparent foundation underneath the steps which may be from the original structure.
The cross base appears to have been largely rebuilt, though the existence of the stone foundation suggests that it is still in its original position. The reconstruction may have taken place in the nineteenth century. The socket stone appears to have been from the 15th or 16th century and it is conceivable that the original cross could have been older than this, but it is likely that this had disappeared by the point of the reconstruction. It is uncertain how far the base resembles its original form, as similar cross bases nearby have three steps unlike the two-step base at Magor.
The base appears to have little archaeological significance so reconstruction is possible, though if this were to involved dismantling the foundation it would require archaeological supervision as it is possible that this was part of the original medieval structure (Lawler, 1995).
Evans, E M , 1997 , Gwent Historic Churches Survey: Churches in the Diocese of Monmouth, Deanery of Netherwent
Lawler, M. , 1995 , Survey of Magor Churchyard Cross, Magor, Gwent, June 1995
The Handley Partnership , HAAbase built heritage assessment system: Buildings at Risk database
GGAT Assessment Magor Churchyard Cross
04/MM Survey/Lawler M/June 1995/GGAT
07/PM List/Cadw/1995/Listed Buildings Lists
02/MM Record Card/OS/1957
03/MM Record Card/OS/1979/ST 48 NW 3
01/PH Desc Text/Mitchell EH/1893/Crosses of Monm/p20 illus