The Glamorgan-Gwent Archaeological Trust
Historic Environment Record
 

The following information has been provided under the terms and conditions of access as detailed on GGAT’s website www.ggat.org.uk.  Copyright is reserved on all data supplied by the GGAT HER Charitable Trust. All output resulting from the use of the data must acknowledge the source as follows:-
Derived from information held by the GGAT HER Charitable Trust copyright.

The data below is intended to be used for information and research only and is not for use as part of a commercial project.  If you wish to use information derived from material held by the GGAT HER Charitable Trust for publication in printed or multimedia form or to compile resources for commercial use, prior permission must be obtained in writing. For further information or to arrange a visit to the Trust please send an enquiry form http://www.ggat.org.uk/her/english/enquiry_form.html to her@ggat.org.uk.

MERTHYR MAWR INSCRIBED STONE

Primary Reference Number (PRN) : 00279m
Trust : Glamorgan Gwent
Community : Merthyr Mawr
Unitary authority : Bridgend
NGR : SS88287753
Site Type (preferred type first) : Unknown Inscribed stone
Status : Scheduled Monument

Summary :
A fragment of pillar-stone with Latin inscription, found on the site of St Teilo's Church, now set with other stones under shelter at N side of church. The inscription records Paulinus the son of M...

Description :
Redknap and Lewis (2007, 472-4) date inscription to late 5th or early 6th centuries, and reuse to 10th-11th centuries.

A fragment of pillar-stone with rounded head of local sandstone, found on the site of St Teilo's Church, now set with other stones under shelter at N side of church. The surviving portion, represents rather less than half. Badly damaged inscription in two lines down the face; surviving portion reads: PAVLI[ / FILI M; probably 5th century. Opposite side to inscription bears an incised emblem of probably later (?9th century) date (RCAHMW 1976, 37 no.847).
Evans 2003: GGAT 73 Early-Medieval Ecclesiastical Sites Project database



Sources :
Redknap, M and Lewis, J M , 2007 , A corpus of Early medieval inscribed stones and stone sculpture in Wales. vol 1: South-east Wales and the English border
02/MM Record Card/OS//1956/SS 87 NE 55/;
01/PM List/RCHM//1976/Glam Invent/No.847;
03/PM List//Nash Williams V.E/1950/ECMW/p.154-5;
05/PM Desc Text/OS/RCHM//1976/Glam Invent p.37 52-3 918
04/MM Record Card/OS//1978/SS 87 NE 55/;
Evans EM, 2003-04, GGAT 73 Early Medieval Ecclesiastical Sites Project

Events :

Related PRNs : 93126, G100

Compiled date : 12-03-2004


November 21, 2018, 3:59 pm - HTML file produced from GGAT HER Charitable Trust Ltd. Heathfield House, Heathfield, Swansea SA1 Tel. 01792 655208; Fax 01792 474469 website: www.ggat.org.uk  email: her@ggat.org.uk Registered Charity no. 505609
Data supplied by in partnership with Local Authorities, Cadw and the partners of ENDEX © GGAT HER Charitable Trust, 2018 (and in part © Crown, 2018).