The Glamorgan-Gwent Archaeological
Trust Historic Environment Record
following information has been provided under the terms and conditions
of access as detailed on GGAT’s website www.ggat.org.uk.
Copyright is reserved on all data supplied by the GGAT HER Charitable Trust.
All output resulting from the use of the data must acknowledge the source
from information held by the GGAT HER Charitable Trust copyright.
data below is intended to be used for information and research only and
is not for use as part of a commercial project. If you wish to use
information derived from material held by the GGAT HER Charitable Trust
for publication in printed or multimedia form or to compile resources for
commercial use, prior permission must be obtained in writing. For further
information or to arrange a visit to the Trust please send an enquiry form
Ogmore Stepping Stones, Ogmore Castle
Primary Reference Number (PRN) : 00273m Trust : Glamorgan Gwent Community : St Bride's Major Unitary authority : Vale of Glamorgan NGR : SS8814176988 Site Type (preferred type first) : Unknown Stepping stones Status : Scheduled Monument
Summary : Stepping Stones at Ogmore Castle, identified and shown on the 1st - 4th ed. OS maps located at the 'Highest Point to which Ordinary Tides flow' on the Ewenny River. The stones, 33 in number, are rectangular and cubic blocks with sides up to 1m in length. The normal river level does not exceed 0.5m in depth.
Description : Stepping Stones at Ogmore Castle, identified and shown on the 1st to 4th ed. OS maps of 1877, 1899, 1919 and 1941, located at the 'Highest Point to which Ordinary Tides flow' on the Ewenny River. (1st ed. 1:2500 OS map; 2nd ed. 1:2500 OS map; 3rd ed. 1:2500 OS map; 4th ed. 1:2500 OS map).
The stones, 33 in number, are rectangular and cubic blocks with sides up to 1m in length. With a normal flow the river does not exceed 0.5m in depth.
The monument comprises 41 stepping stones, which provide pedestrian access across the plain of the River Ewenny. The stepping stones link Ogmore castle on the S bank to the flood plain between the rivers Ewenny and Ogmore to the N. The alignment has been deliberately located where the river is shallower and slower flowing. The N-S alignment of stones measures c.35m in length and is complete. The structure is medieval in date with later revisions. The monument is well preserved and a rare survival. (Dunning and Howell 2005).