The Glamorgan-Gwent Archaeological
Trust Historic Environment Record
following information has been provided under the terms and conditions
of access as detailed on GGAT’s website www.ggat.org.uk.
Copyright is reserved on all data supplied by the GGAT HER Charitable Trust.
All output resulting from the use of the data must acknowledge the source
from information held by the GGAT HER Charitable Trust copyright.
data below is intended to be used for information and research only and
is not for use as part of a commercial project. If you wish to use
information derived from material held by the GGAT HER Charitable Trust
for publication in printed or multimedia form or to compile resources for
commercial use, prior permission must be obtained in writing. For further
information or to arrange a visit to the Trust please send an enquiry form
Primary Reference Number (PRN) : 00258m Trust : Glamorgan Gwent Community : Merthyr Mawr Unitary authority : Bridgend NGR : SS87117724 Site Type (preferred type first) : Medieval Manor house Status : Scheduled Monument , listed building II*
Summary : A 14th century tower-house: a lightly fortified manor house within the medieval fee of Merthyr Mawr, which continued in use until its abandonment in the late 19th century.
Description : Candleston Castle is a ruined C14th tower-house: a lightly fortified manor house, one of only 5 within Glamorgan. It consists of a rectangular core, with a square keep at one end, with 2 further rectangular sections projecting E and W from each end of the central section. Parts of the curtain walls are vulnerable to vandalism and other parts are becoming structurally unsound, while other parts appear sound and in good order. Candleston was a mesne manor within the fee of Merthyr Mawr, which was acquired by the St Quintin lords of Llanbleddian and Talyfan in the 12th century. The castle and manor derive their name from the Cantilupes, who were the first tenants at Candleston after the St Quintins sub-enfeoffed the site. The structural remains at Candleston represent four main periods of masonry building. Work of the first period was the most significant, imposing its general layout on all subsequent building. There are also minor, undated additions representing the continuous occupation of the site from the 14th to the 19th century. It continued in use as a farmhouse until the late 19th century, and was then abandoned.
01/MM Record Card/OS/1968/SS 87 NE 33
02/PM Desc Text/Evans CJO/1944/Glam its Hist & Topog/p214-5
06/MM Photo/GGAT/Lewis W/1979-80/
04/PM Desc Text/1933/Archaeol Cambrensis/p44
05/PM Map/Rees W/1932/S Wales & Border in C14th/SE Sheet
08/PM Desc Text/RCHM/1981/Glam Invent Vol 4 Pt 1 p.348 No.93
07/PM Desc Text/Smith EG/1932-3/Neath Antiq Soc/p.31,35
09/PM List/Cadw/Ancient Monuments Record Form
03/PM Desc Text/1928/Archaeol Cambrensis/p365
10/Desc Text/Cadw/ Full Management Report/2005/Copy in further information file
010/Desc Text/Cadw/Application for Grant Aid/2007 Copy in further information file.
011/Desc Text/Cadw/Full Management Report /01/02/2008/Copy in further information file.