The Glamorgan-Gwent Archaeological
Trust Historic Environment Record
following information has been provided under the terms and conditions
of access as detailed on GGAT’s website www.ggat.org.uk.
Copyright is reserved on all data supplied by the GGAT HER Charitable Trust.
All output resulting from the use of the data must acknowledge the source
from information held by the GGAT HER Charitable Trust copyright.
data below is intended to be used for information and research only and
is not for use as part of a commercial project. If you wish to use
information derived from material held by the GGAT HER Charitable Trust
for publication in printed or multimedia form or to compile resources for
commercial use, prior permission must be obtained in writing. For further
information or to arrange a visit to the Trust please send an enquiry form
ST ROQUE'S CHAPEL AT MERTHYR MAWR
Primary Reference Number (PRN) : 00248m Trust : Glamorgan Gwent Community : Merthyr Mawr Unitary authority : Bridgend NGR : SS8886878084 Site Type (preferred type first) : Medieval Chapel Status : Scheduled Monument , listed building II
Summary : St Roque's chapel stands within the grounds of Merthyr Mawr House, on top of a small hill (Chapel Hill), within an oval enclosure interpreted as being an IA hillfort (PRN 275m). The chapel lies on the N side of the earthwork in an ornamental enclosure.
Description : St Roque's chapel stands within the grounds of Merthyr Mawr House, on top of a small hill (Chapel Hill), within an oval enclosure interpreted as being an IA hillfort (PRN 275m). This has a single earth bank with a gap, probably the entrance, on the W side; Grimes noted a ditch to the SW (OS card SS 87 NE 51), but none was visible when the RCHMW surveyed the site in 1966, though they noted traces of a counterscarp bank (RCAHMW 1976b, no.630). The chapel itself lies within a curvilinear enclosure of 'ornamental walling and fencing' (OS card SS 87 NE 51) set at the N side of the earthwork enclosure. The chapel is a single celled E-W building 8x6m, with an arched door towards the W end of the S wall, a small window towards the E end of the same wall, and a larger window with a stone mullion in the middle of the E wall; W bellcote; two ECMs (PRNs 245m =1336m; 272m = 1335m) situated one either side of the door outside the building (Cadw Field Monument warden report, 1986), also a later cross-base (PRN 251m); none of these is in its original location. Evans 2003: GGAT 73 Early-Medieval Ecclesiastical Sites Project database
01/MM Record Card/OS//1957/SS 87 NE 19/;
02/PM Map//Rees W/1932/S.Wales & Border in 14th C/SE Sheet;
03/PM Desc Text///1908/Trans Cardiff Natur Soc/Vol.41 p.30;
04/PH Desc Text//Lewis T/1849/Topogrphical Dictionary of Wales/p208;
09/MM Desc Text/Cadw/Whittle E/20.02.1986 AM7/SS 87 NE/
08/MM Record Card/OS//1982/SS 87 NE 19/;
05/MM Photo/GGAT/Lewis W/1981//;
06/PM Mention//RCHM//1982/Glam Invent Vol.3 Pt.2 p.367;
07/MM Photo/GGAT/Long A/05.07.84//;
Evans EM, 2003-04, GGAT 73 Early Medieval Ecclesiastical Sites Project
Events : E001386 : Early medieval ecclesiastical sites in Southeast Wales desk based assessment (year : 2004) E002280 : Merthyr Mawr Warren WB (year : 1996)