The Glamorgan-Gwent Archaeological Trust
Historic Environment Record
 

The following information has been provided under the terms and conditions of access as detailed on GGAT’s website www.ggat.org.uk.  Copyright is reserved on all data supplied by the GGAT HER Charitable Trust. All output resulting from the use of the data must acknowledge the source as follows:-
Derived from information held by the GGAT HER Charitable Trust copyright.

The data below is intended to be used for information and research only and is not for use as part of a commercial project.  If you wish to use information derived from material held by the GGAT HER Charitable Trust for publication in printed or multimedia form or to compile resources for commercial use, prior permission must be obtained in writing. For further information or to arrange a visit to the Trust please send an enquiry form http://www.ggat.org.uk/her/english/enquiry_form.html to her@ggat.org.uk.

PEN Y CASTELL

Primary Reference Number (PRN) : 00161m
Trust : Glamorgan Gwent
Community : Cynffig
Unitary authority : Bridgend
NGR : SS84228270
Site Type (preferred type first) : Iron Age Hillfort
Status : Scheduled Monument

Summary :
Small fortified enclosure at the W end of a low lime- stone ridge. About 30m of interior has been removed by quarrying from the W end.

Description :
Small fortified enclosure at the W end of a low lime- stone ridge. About 30m of interior has been removed by quarrying from the W end.

Pen y Castell, Kenfig Hill is a small fortified enclosure at the W end of a low limestone ridge SE of Kenfig Hill village, 130m OD. About 30m of the interior has been removed by quarrying at the W end leaving present length at 110m max. Width across the ridge at 52m. Enclosed area 0.4ha.
Enclosure completely surrounded by two banks, each with a ditch. The inner rampart contains a made up height of 1m, 10m wide and 1.5m deep. The second bank is 0.3m high, 5m wide with a ditch 3m wide and 0.6m deep.
At the E end the inner bank survives, crossing the ridge, where it is 8m wide and up to 1.7m high. The outer bank has been destroyed, but the inner ditch is visible in the hedge line at the NE corner.
The entrance probably represented by simple gap 4m wide in the inner rampart at the SE corner. No internal features. (Wiggins and Evans 2005)

Sources :
Wiggins, H and Evans, E , 2005 , Prehistoric defended enclosures in Glamorgan with recommendations for fieldwork
01/PM List/RCHM//1976/Glam Invent/No.680;
02/MM Record Card/OS//1957/SS 88 SW 30/;
06/MM Photo//Griffiths B/1984//;
07/MM Desc Text/Cadw/Whittle E/13.01.86 AM7/SS 88 SW/
05/MM Record Card/OS//1976/SS 88 SW 30/;
03/PM Desc Text//Savory H.N/1949/Bull Board Celtic Stud/13 p.153-55;
04/PM Map/Rees W/1932/S.Wales & Border in 14th C/SE Sheet;

Events :
E001455 : Prehistoric defended enclosures in Glamorgan (year : 2005)

Related PRNs : 94621, 307355

Compiled date : 01-02-1977


November 17, 2018, 5:11 pm - HTML file produced from GGAT HER Charitable Trust Ltd. Heathfield House, Heathfield, Swansea SA1 Tel. 01792 655208; Fax 01792 474469 website: www.ggat.org.uk  email: her@ggat.org.uk Registered Charity no. 505609
Data supplied by in partnership with Local Authorities, Cadw and the partners of ENDEX © GGAT HER Charitable Trust, 2018 (and in part © Crown, 2018).