The Glamorgan-Gwent Archaeological
Trust Historic Environment Record
following information has been provided under the terms and conditions
of access as detailed on GGAT’s website www.ggat.org.uk.
Copyright is reserved on all data supplied by the GGAT HER Charitable Trust.
All output resulting from the use of the data must acknowledge the source
from information held by the GGAT HER Charitable Trust copyright.
data below is intended to be used for information and research only and
is not for use as part of a commercial project. If you wish to use
information derived from material held by the GGAT HER Charitable Trust
for publication in printed or multimedia form or to compile resources for
commercial use, prior permission must be obtained in writing. For further
information or to arrange a visit to the Trust please send an enquiry form
Primary Reference Number (PRN) : 00148m Trust : Glamorgan Gwent Community : Margam Unitary authority : Neath Port Talbot NGR : SS80088268 Site Type (preferred type first) : Medieval Castle Status : Scheduled Monument
Summary : The dating of Kenfig Castle is not clear. The town & castle have been burned several times. It continued in good repair until 1405 when it was dismantled.
Description : The dating of Kenfig Castle is not clear. The town & castle have been burned several times. It continued in good repair until 1405 when it was dismantled. Earliest mention of castle is 1185 AD (sub anno 893). The structure included the Keep astride to the rampart of pebbles and a large bailey ( about 8 acres). Square with rounded corners, sides about 198 yrds long. It appears that later the castle was repaired and used as a local gaol. A small town that grew around the 12th century castle thrived during the 12th to 14th centuries.
Area of the old town near the castle. Building approx. 8m by 5m consists of clay walls c1.5m thick, resting on a masonry base of about 3 courses. Present maximum height c1m. Traces of another building or wall to the north east of the building. Collapsed walls of the building were covered with sand; suggests that the building must have collapsed before around1320 (Robbins T)
Davis, P. R , 2010 , Kenfig Castle, Pyle
Robbins T , 1997 , Gazetteer of Sites Explored. Kenfig, Castle environs , Archaeology in Wales : 37 : 81-84
01/MM Record Card/OS//1957/SS 88 SW 17/;
02/PM Desc Text//Gray T/1909/Burried City of Kenfig/p.56;
06/PM Desc Text//1926-7&1929-31/Bull Board Celtic Stud/Vol.3 p.241;
05/PM List//Armitage E.S/1912/E.Norman Castles of British Isles/;
07/PM Desc Text/DOE//1919/Mid Glam Imp Rept/5.2.1
03/pm desc text/RCAHM//1991/Invent III 1a/EM2
04/PM Desc Text//Shepard C.F/1946/Sidelights on Glam Parishes/p40-1;
09/Desc Text/Cadw/ Full Management Report/2005/Copy in further information file