The Glamorgan-Gwent Archaeological
Trust Historic Environment Record
following information has been provided under the terms and conditions
of access as detailed on GGAT’s website www.ggat.org.uk.
Copyright is reserved on all data supplied by the GGAT HER Charitable Trust.
All output resulting from the use of the data must acknowledge the source
from information held by the GGAT HER Charitable Trust copyright.
data below is intended to be used for information and research only and
is not for use as part of a commercial project. If you wish to use
information derived from material held by the GGAT HER Charitable Trust
for publication in printed or multimedia form or to compile resources for
commercial use, prior permission must be obtained in writing. For further
information or to arrange a visit to the Trust please send an enquiry form
Bryncynan, Mynydd Ty-talwyn
Primary Reference Number (PRN) : 00126m Trust : Glamorgan Gwent Community : Llangynwyd Middle Unitary authority : Bridgend NGR : SS86088681 Site Type (preferred type first) : Medieval Deserted rural settlement Status : Scheduled Monument
Summary : Complex of earthworks, 45m x 50m, interpreted by Fox as remains of a square building and longhouse (RCAHMW: details not visible). Main platform with wall-banks, subsidiary platforms to N, SE, SW, enclosing bank to W. RC report damage but condition good.
Description : Please note that some of the sources contain information that, as yet, has not been included in this description field. This will be updated in due course. DRS site consisting of earthworks representing house platforms and hollow ways. A hollow way not previously recorded was identified, entering the site from the north-east. This track can be followed in a north-easterly direction on the tithe map of 1839, eventually arriving at Bryncynan Farm. The metalled lane which runs past the site is deeply sunken, and may relate to a past system of hollow ways. The 1st edition (1876) and 2nd edition(1899) OS maps mark Stone (1st ed.) and Site of Standing Stone (2nd ed.) at c. SS86498689, in the southern part of the site. If there was such a stone, it presumably disappeared sometime between 1876 and 1899. The field to the north of the site, on the opposite side of the lane, had what appeared to be platforms - possibly an extension of the deserted settlement. (source 07)
Complex of earthworks, 45m x 50m, interpreted by Fox as remains of a square building and longhouse (RCAHMW: details not visible). Main platform with wall-banks, subsidiary platforms to N, SE, SW, enclosing bank to W. RC report damage but condition good. DRS Site Visit: 11/1/2001
GGAT 65 Deserted Rural Settlements in Glamorgan and Gwent (2001)
Cadw , Application for Scheduled Monument Consent
Glamorgan Gwent Archaeological Trust , 1989 , Site Visit Record
01/MM Record Card/OS//1956/SS 88 NE 7/;
02/PM Desc Text//Fox C&A/1934/Antiquity/Vol.8 p.409-11;
05/MM Desc Text/Cadw/Whittle E/17.01.86 AM7/SS 88 NE/
03/PM Mention//RCHM//1982/Glam Inventory Vol.3 Pt.2 p.37;
04/MM Record Card/OS//1982/SS 88 NE 7/;
07/Pm desc text/GGAT 67 Tir Gofal/1999-2000/CCW Tir Gofal HE2 data/S15000442
06/Pm desc text/Locock M/2001/GGAT 65 Deserted Rural Settlements in Glamorgan and Gwent: a condition survey
08/Desc Text/Cadw/Full Management Report/2005/Copy in further information file
Events : E003449 : Field survey for Deserted Rural settlement project. (year : 2000-2001)