Trust Regional Historic Environment Record
St Mary's Church, Llanfair is Gaer
Primary Reference Number (PRN) : 6986 Trust : Gwynedd Community : Y Felinheli Unitary authority : Gwynedd NGR : SH5016566024 Site Type (preferred type first) : Medieval CHURCH / POST MEDIEVAL CHURCH Status : Listed Building II
Summary : Llanfair is gaer parish church is dedicated to St Mary and is located in the diocese of Bangor. It is a medieval church built of roughly coursed rubble with squared quoins and modern dressings that took its name from a nearby hillfort. It was heavily restored in the 19th century and consequently few early features survive.
The stone-walled churchyard is curvilinear in form and was extended to the east and south in 1864. A further extension was added in 1917 although the location was not specified, and a more recent extension can be seen to the south. The former southern and eastern boundaries are visible as a low bank. A modern lych gate can be found to the south of the church.
The church is of nave and separate chancel. In 1900 it was recorded that there were no windows in the north walls and in 1924 it was noted that a window in the south wall of the chancel had been blocked. Above the present east window, the remains of a 15th- or 16th-century relieving arch can be seen. Two repaired arch-brace collar beam trusses of 15th- or 16th-century date have been re-used in the chancel roof and another in the nave dates to before the 19th century. A date stone of 1644 in the south wall of the chancel may indicate a restoration of the church.
The church was restored in 1865 by Gilbert Scott. Additions of this restoration include the south porch, the two windows in the north wall of the nave, the door and window in the south wall of the nave, and the east and west windows. Also added were the chancel arch and the recess in the north wall of the chancel. The church was probably also re-floored.
The seating dates to the 19th century. There are three 18th-century memorials in the church, and a heraldic panel of circa 1600. The font is an octagonal bowl with three decorated sides and is of 14th- or 15th century date.
The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Wales , 1960 , An Inventory of the Ancient Monuments in Caernarvonshire Volume II: Central
Glynne, S. R. , 1900 , Archaeologia Cambrensis , <1>
Hughes, H. & North, H. , 1924 , The Old Churches of Snowdonia , <2>
Snowdonia National Park Society , 1984 , Hughes & North - the Old Churches of Snowdonia , <3>
Clarke, M. L. , 1961 , Transactions of Caernarvonshire Historical Society , <5>
Davidson, A. & Ward, M. , 1998 , The Historic Churches Project , <6>