Trust Regional Historic Environment Record
St. Nidan's Church, Llanidan
Primary Reference Number (PRN) : 3151 Trust : Gwynedd Community : Llanidan Unitary authority : Ynys Mon NGR : SH4949566903 Site Type (preferred type first) : Medieval CHURCH Status : Scheduled Monument , Listed Building II*
Description : It is a double aisled structure of which only the western part and the central arcade are now standing. From earlier accounts, it consisted, before its partial demolition in the mid 19th century, of a N and S aisle and a S chapel and porch, but it is probable that of this building the S aisle, with the chapel, represented the early medieval church to which the N aisle and arcade and possibly the porch was added in the late 15th century.
In 1844 the whole of the eastern portion of the church, with the exception of the arcade, was removed and the western end enclosed by a cross wall a little to the east of the porch. The only datable feature of the earlier part of the church now remaining is the 14th century S doorway, but the S chapel is said to have had a window of similar date. (RCAHMW, 1937)
The church, after demolition, was used as a mortuary chapel. In periodic use. A C13th font has been removed to the new parish church. <2>
Church of St. Nidan (old church) and wall of circular churchyard. Grade 'A'. <3>
Evaluation excavation released a stretch of earlier churchyard wall foundation within the present western boundary of the churchyard. A series of mortar floor deposits were noted within the nave of the church, which had been extensively damaged by later burial. The foundations of the original north wall of the nave, which pre-dated the 14th century, were recorded between the respond and the western arch of the 15th-century arcade of the north aisle. Floor deposits were also noted post-dating the erection of the late-15th-century arcade and north aisle, which had been subsequently disturbed by the insertion of two infant burials into the foundations of the demolished north wall of the nave. With the exception of the floor deposits surviving around the western respond of the arcade, the deposits within the north aisle had been excavated prior to the laying of the 1844 mortar floor. The deposit of mixed material beneath the 1844 floor contained disarticulated but whole human skeletal material, although no articulated burials were encountered during the evaluation excavations. (Dutton, Riley & Ward, 1995)
Description: A former parish church, that was partly demolished in 1844 following the construction of a new chu rch closer to the village. lt was a double aisled church with a central arcade, the south aisle dating from the 14th century, with the arcade and north aisle added in the 15th century. The west end remains roofed, whereas the remainder, with the exception of the central arcade, has been demolished to foundation level (RCAHMW 1937, 99). Discussion: This is a very good example of a redundant parish church, with great potential for casting new light on the origins and growth of the early medieval and medieal church. Its link with Beddgelert (who held the tithes) is of interest, and suggests an early foundation date. The church is privately owned by the occupiers of the adjacent Llanidan Hall, who have also leased the cemetery. The site is scheduled. (Davidson, 2004).