Trust Regional Historic Environment Record
Pont Sarn-las Hut Group, Brynsiencyn
Primary Reference Number (PRN) : 3138 Trust : Gwynedd Community : Llanidan Unitary authority : Ynys Mon NGR : SH47156788 Site Type (preferred type first) : Roman HUT CIRCLE SETTLEMENT Status : Scheduled Monument
Description : Besides the River Briant, near Pont Sarn Las, about 600yds NW of Maen Hir (PRN 3145). Two definite hut circles, 24ft internal diameter, are visible and there are traces of about six more huts of the group. All are partly ploughed away and only a few walling stones can be seen in situ.
These huts represent the last remains of a large settlement at Trefwri, which extend along the S bank of the Braint to Tre Ifan an overall distance of about 600yds. Two upright stones in a field S of Tre Ifan are all that remain of the E part of the site. A number of Roman coins were found in destroying the huts. (RCAHMW, 1937)
The site of a once flourishing Celtic town of Tref Wry, slightly noticed by Mr. Rowlands of which nothing remains beyond a group of hut circles and one or two upright stones. The town is said to have extended along the S bank of the river Braint, from an elevated spot a little higher up the stream than Tre Ifan, down to the public road and bridge at Sarn-las (SH 4705 6790). In a S direction it may have appeared very near to the entrenchment of Caer Leb (SH47286741). <2>
A pair of saddle querns were found built into a wall near the River Braint on Tre Ifan farm, before 1861. <3>
One hut circle and trace of two others are all that remain at SH47106790.
No change since 1967 - nothing is known about the saddle querns at Treifan farm. <4>
Huts are thought to represent remains of large settlement known as Trefwri. For full description of site in 1986. <5>
For reference to site and possible Roman finds see Rowlands. <6>