Gwynedd Archaeological Trust
Regional Historic Environment Record

Lifeboat Station, Moelfre

Primary Reference Number (PRN) : 29842
Trust : Gwynedd
Community : Moelfre
Unitary authority : Ynys Mon
NGR : SH51528652
Site Type (preferred type first) : Modern LIFEBOAT STATION
Status :

Description :
A RNLI lifeboat station and slipway, built in 1909 replacing an earlier one built in 1875 about 300m to the south. It has been modified on a number of occasions between 1930 and 1992 in order to accommodate larger vessels.

The lifeboat house consists of a rectangular stone-built structure with rendered walls and slate roof. It is orientated approximately east-west, with an extension on the north side (Plate 1). The slipway runs down from the east gable. The boathouse is built on a plinth of coursed, squared limestone masonry, which ends approximately 2m landward of the current gabled boathouse, being the extent of a former boathouse (Plate 2). The slipway is of constructed of concrete on four pillars, the landward one supporting the eastern gable end of the building. About 30m east of the boathouse the slipway becomes a solid concrete plinth (Plate 6).

Internally the lifeboat house contains a first floor crew room above the east end of the building (Plate 20), accessed by a stair from the floor of the main boathouse, and offices adjacent to the inshore lifeboat space (Plate 17). There is hydraulic winch for hauling in the vessel, and a high level fuel tank (Plate 12). A mid 20th century telephone kiosk is located on the south west side of the building. (Evans, 2010)

The lifeboat house and slipway were constructed on their current site in 1909, replacing a lifeboat house built 200m to the south in 1875 (PRN 29843). Moelfre had become well known as a place of maritime tragedy following the loss of the 'Royal Charter’ in 1859. The building was seen to be constructed on a limestone plinth of squared blocks, dating from the earliest phase of building in 1909. The lifeboat house was altered a number of times, most notably in 1930 and 1992 in order to accommodate larger vessels. The slipway has also been lengthened on a number of occasions. A significant amount of fabric from the 1909 and 1930 buildings was identified. The boathouse is considered to be a significant element in the cultural heritage of Moelfre, particularly as Moelfre has been the scene of a number of well known rescues, notably that of the 'Hindlea’ by Coxswain Evans and his crew in 1959. (McNicol, 2013)

Sources :
Evans, R. , 2010 , Moelfre Lifeboat Station, Anglesey ( © GAT)
McNicol, D. , 2013 , Moelfre Lifeboat Station, Moelfre, Ynys Mon ( © GAT)

Events :
43841 : Moelfre Lifeboat Station: Moelfre, Anglesey (year : 2010)
44563 : Moelfre Lifeboat Station, Moelfre, Ynys Mon (year : 2013)

Related PRNs : 417226

Compiled date : 09-05-2011


The above data are supplied by GAT in partnership with its Local Authorities (Anglesey, Conwy and Gwynedd County Councils, and Snowdonia National Park Authority), © GAT 2018 (and in part © Crown, 2018 - as indicated)
This information is supplied for the purposes of personal interest only and may not be used as part of a commercial project.

November 17, 2018, 5:11 pm - HTML file produced from Gwynedd Archaeological Trust Regional HER
Gwynedd Archaeological Trust, Craig Beuno, Garth Road, Bangor, Gwynedd.  LL57 2RT
tel (01248) 352535,  fax (01248) 370925, email her@heneb.co.uk, web www.heneb.co.uk