Gwynedd Archaeological Trust
Regional Historic Environment Record

Plas Berw House, Pentre Berw

Primary Reference Number (PRN) : 2726
Trust : Gwynedd
Community : Llanfihangel Ysgeifiog
Unitary authority : Ynys Mon
NGR : SH4657171765
Site Type (preferred type first) : Medieval BUILDING
Status : Scheduled Monument , Listed Building II

Description :
Plas Berw house and barn consists of two structures forming adjacent sides of a rectangular courtyard; the earlier to the S is late C15th, the later to the W was built by Sir Thomas Holland in early C17th. Earlier house is now in ruins, was built in c.1480 and appears to have been a single storey building. Upper floor inserted c.1536 and at end of century a square 3 storey building was added on S side at E end. Later house is of 2 storeys with attics and slate covered roofs. Built in 1615 and has been slightly restored in modern times. Condition of later house poor. (RCAHMW, 1937) <4>

Early building is in a state of ruin, whilst the later building has modern additions to the N, W and S and the E side much repaired. <2>

Condition unchanged. Survey of 1967 correct. <3>

For further details see refs. <6> <7>

Also listed Grade II.

15th & 16th Century. 2 storey. Attic. Old small slate roof. Rubble masonry. 17th Century panelling. Mullion transomes. Tower. Walled garden with arched doors. (RCAHMW, Undated)

Plas Berw comprises a ruined medieval hall house dated to about 1480 which was built for Ithel ap Howel and a 1615 mansion built for Sir Thomas Holland (RCAHMW 1937). The fragmentary remains of the walls of the medieval deer park and of gardens associated with Plas Berw are recorded in the Register of Parks and Gardens in Wales. This includes the barn and surrounding enclosures which may have formed part of the north end of the park (Fig. 1). (Morgan, 2014)

Watching brief and subsequent excavation undertaken. The house built in 1615 butted the west wall of the hall and along the west side of the court yard. A cottage with external stone steps to the upper storey was added to the south wall of the house in more recent times when the hall had fallen into ruin. (Longley 1983)

Sources :
Longley, D. , 1983 , Plas Berw, Caerwen , Archaeology in Wales : Vol. 23 : p.67
Longley, D. , 2013 , Six Anglesey Houses , Archaeologia Cambrensis : Vol. 162 : P.1-18
Morgan, T. , 2014 , Plas Berw Barn, Pentre Berw: Survey and Description August 2014 ( © Timothy Morgan Archaeological Illustration)
The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Wales , RC Buildings Records
The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Wales , 1937 , An Inventory of the Ancient Monuments in Anglesey
Various , 2014 , PRN 2726 Plas Berw House and Barn, Llanidan
Ordnance Survey , 1967 , SH47SE 1 , <2>
Ordnance Survey , 1979 , SH47SE 1 , <3>
Ordnance Survey , 1963 , 6 Inch , <4>
Longley, D. et al. , 1984 , Cambrian Archaeological Association 131st Annual Meeting , <6>
Williams, J. , 1915 , Transactions of the Anglesey Antiquarian Society , <7>
Smith, P. , Plas Berw , <10>
Parkinson, A. J. , 1984 , Plas Berw , <11>
Longley, D. , 1991 , Archaeologia Cambrensis , <13>

Events :
42507 : Plas Berw, Gaerwen (year : 1983)
44645 : Plas Berw Barn, Pentre Berw (year : 2014)

Related PRNs : 15800, 15801

Compiled date : 08-04-1987


Images :



The above data are supplied by GAT in partnership with its Local Authorities (Anglesey, Conwy and Gwynedd County Councils, and Snowdonia National Park Authority), © GAT 2019 (and in part © Crown, 2019 - as indicated)
This information is supplied for the purposes of personal interest only and may not be used as part of a commercial project.

March 25, 2019, 3:30 am - HTML file produced from Gwynedd Archaeological Trust Regional HER
Gwynedd Archaeological Trust, Craig Beuno, Garth Road, Bangor, Gwynedd.  LL57 2RT
tel (01248) 352535,  fax (01248) 370925, email her@heneb.co.uk, web www.heneb.co.uk