Trust Regional Historic Environment Record
Dovecote, Penmon Priory, Llangoed
Primary Reference Number (PRN) : 2541 Trust : Gwynedd Community : Llangoed Unitary authority : Ynys Mon NGR : SH6311380718 Site Type (preferred type first) : POST MEDIEVAL DOVECOTE Status : Scheduled Ancient Monument , Listed Building II*
Summary : When Penmon priory was dissolved in the 16th century, the lands passed to the Bulkeley family of Beaumaris. They enclosed much of the land to form a deer park, and converted the Prior's lodging into a private house. At this time (circa AD 1600) they also built a dovecote about 60m east of the priory.
The dovecote is square in plan and is roofed by a massive dome or vault. The roof was constructed by laying flat stones against a corbelled base at the top of the walls, and then laying smaller flat stones onto each preceding layer, which decreased in size towards the apex of the dome. At the top of the roof is a hexagonal lantern with a small dome above, which provides light. In the centre of the dovecote is a large circular stone pillar which would have carried a ladder for access to the nests, which are located in each wall of the dovecote up to the level of the dome. Adjoining the east wall of the dovecote are the remains of a corn barn which is later in date.
Description : Dovecote, 50-60 yds E of St Seiriol's church and 50yds from fishpond. 17ft 9in square built circa 1600. It is square in plan and is roofed by a massive dome or vault, the base corbelled out in front of the main wall faces, formed of stones laid flat and diminishing in size to the apex, where it is crowned by an open haxagonal lantern with a small stone dome, carried on six moulded uprights. Below the base of the main dome is a plain square string. High up in the N and S walls are original rectangular windows with moulded jambs; in the W wall are later plain openings one above the other, the lower blocked. In the N wall is a doorway having plain jambs and square head. The interior is lined with nests up to the springing level of the dome, and in the centre of the floor is a large circular stone pillar about 12ft high with corbelled stones forming steps to the top; it carried a ladder for access to the nests. (RCAHMW, 1937)
Circa 1600, 2 storey, mortared rubble, 4 sided dome with interior corbel construction, central stone pillar, slab steps; Crown property. (RCAHMW, Undated)
Events : 42455 : Field Monument Warden Site Visit: Penmon Dovecot (year : 1991) 44846 : Medieval and Post-Medieval Agricultural Features in North-West Wales. Report on Scheduling Enhancement Study: Part 1: Report and Gazetteer (year : 2014)