Gwynedd Archaeological Trust
Regional Historic Environment Record

St. Michael's Church, Llanfihangel Ysgeifiog

Primary Reference Number (PRN) : 1583
Trust : Gwynedd
Community : Llanfihangel Ysgeifiog
Unitary authority : Ynys Mon
NGR : SH4788073420
Site Type (preferred type first) : POST MEDIEVAL CHURCH
Status : Scheduled Ancient Monument , Listed Building II

Description :
Remains of St. Michael's church. <1>

Eastern part only remains. Consists of a chancel built mid C15th and north chapel added in 1635. W wall erected mid 19th. A cross incised grave stone 7-11thC on chancel floor. (RCAHMW, 1937)

Roof less. <3>

Site largely overgrown, published survey 25'' correct. <4>

Condition unchanged. <5>

Arrangement for site visit re: dilapidated state of scheduled monument. Amended scheduling to include the whole of the churchyard. <6>

Scheduling of additional area. <7>

Only the east portion remains, consisting of 15thC chancel and a north chapel added in 1638 roofless. <8>

Report on watching brief carried out in 2010. Description of decorated and inscribed stones found in the church and churchyard, and the window glass. <14>

Cappel y Geirn i Uchelsaint (from Peniarth Ms 147, quoted by Baynes 1920, No. 57). Farm called Geirn at SH38258190. There is no evidence for a chapel at this site. The parish church of Llechcynfarwydd lies close by, and may be the structure referred to, or perhaps the north chapel of the church. (Davidson, 2004).

Sources :
Davidson, A. , 2004 , Deserted Ecclesiastical Sites in North-West Wales: A Threat Related Archaeological Assessment ( © GAT)
Davidson, A., Hopewell, D., Kenney, J. & Longley, D. , 2002 , Early Medieval Burial and Ecclesiastical Sites 2001-2002 ( © GAT)
Geoffery G. Holme. , 1922 , Transactions of the Anglesey Antiquarian Society and Field Club
The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Wales , 1937 , An Inventory of the Ancient Monuments in Anglesey
Ordnance Survey , 1963 , <1>
Ordnance Survey , 1967 , SH47SE 5 , <3>
Ordnance Survey , 1967 , SH47SE 5 , <4>
Ordnance Survey , 1970 , SH47SE 5 , <5>
Smith, C. , 1978 , <6>
Knowles, A. R. , 1979 , <7>
Smith, G. , 1999 , Llanfihangel Ysgeifiog Church , <11>
Morgan, T. , 2010 , Llanfihangel Ysgeifiog Old Church Watching Brief & Archaeological Recording , <14>
Westwood, J. , 1879 , Lapidarium Walliae: The Early Inscribed and Sculptured Stones of Wales , <15>

Events :
42087 : PRN 1583 GAT Site Visit (year : 1999)
44088 : Llanfihangel Ysgeifiog Old Church Watching Brief & Archaeological Recording (year : 2010)
40568 : Early Medieval Burial and Ecclesiastical Sites 2001-2002 (year : 2002)
40569 : Deserted Ecclesiastical Sites in North-west Wales: a Threat-related Archaeological Assessment (year : 2004)

Related PRNs : 43630

Compiled date : 10-04-1987


Images :



The above data are supplied by GAT in partnership with its Local Authorities (Anglesey, Conwy and Gwynedd County Councils, and Snowdonia National Park Authority), © GAT 2018 (and in part © Crown, 2018 - as indicated)
This information is supplied for the purposes of personal interest only and may not be used as part of a commercial project.

November 19, 2018, 12:50 am - HTML file produced from Gwynedd Archaeological Trust Regional HER
Gwynedd Archaeological Trust, Craig Beuno, Garth Road, Bangor, Gwynedd.  LL57 2RT
tel (01248) 352535,  fax (01248) 370925, email her@heneb.co.uk, web www.heneb.co.uk