Dyfed Archaeological Trust Historic Environment Record

Use of this information is subject to the terms and conditions of access to Welsh HER data published on DAT's website
www.dyfedarchaeology.org.uk
This information is supplied for the purposes of personal interest only and may not be used as part of a commercial project.

Please contact the HER if you have any further questions regarding this information, if you would like any of the sources followed up or if you have information that could improve the record in any way. Primary Reference Numbers (PRNs) should be quoted in any correspondence.
 

BRONGWYN PARISH CHURCH;ST MARY'S

Primary Reference Number (PRN) : 5230
Trust : Dyfed
Community : Beulah
Unitary authority : Ceredigion
NGR : SN28754367
Site Type (preferred type first) : Medieval Church / POST MEDIEVAL Church
Status :

Summary :
Parish church, probably medieval, formerly a chapelry to Penbryn parish and not listed in the `Taxatio' of 1291. It was primarily single-celled, small, comprising a chancel/nave, without structural division, possibly late medieval or early post-medieval. Heavily restored during the 19th century (with the separate PRN 17334); west porch/vestry is later 20th century. The church is dedicated to the Latin St Mary but may have been a Welsh foundation, Ceredigion remaining in Welsh hands during most of the 12th and 13th centuries. The site is shown only as a possible medieval chapel on Rees' 1932 map. However, it was formerly known as `Betws Ithel' - there is no hagiographical record of a St Ithel, suggesting that it may have been the `chapel of the sons of Ithael' that was granted to Talley Abbey in c.1200; however, there is a possibility that the reference may relate to Llanannerch Chapel, PRNs 8060 & 49321. The church is shown on Saxton's map of 1578. The rectangular churchyard is post-medieval in its present form. The `betws' place-name element is thought to be post-Conquest. NDL 2004


Sources :
Cambrian News , 1991 , `Mindless' Vandalism at three churches ,
DAT , 1983 , CR ,
Ludlow,N , 2001 , Archive for CADW funded churches project ,
Ludlow,ND , 2000 , Cadw Welsh Historic Churches Project, Ceredigion Churches, Brongwyn ,
Ludlow,ND , 2002 , Cadw Early Medieval Ecclesiastical Sites Project, Ceredigion, Part 1 ,
O Riain,P , 1994 , The Saints of Cardiganshire, in Davies, JL, and Kirby, DP (eds.), 1994 Cardiganshire County History 1, 378-396 ,
Ordnance Survey , 1964 ,
Owen,E , 1893 & 1894 , `A Contribution to the History of the Praemonstratensian Abbey of Talley' ,
RCAHM , 1976 ,
Rees,W , 1932 , S.Wales & Border in 14th c. ,
Roberts,T , 1992 , Welsh Ecclesiastical Place-Names and Archaeology',N Edwards and A Lane,The Early Church in Wales and the West,p.41-44 ,
Saxton , 1578 , Saxton's Map of Radnorshire,Brecknockshire,Cardiganshire and Carmarthenshire ,
Saxton,C , 1578 , Cardigan ,

Events :
69166 : BRONGWYN PARISH CHURCH;ST MARY'S, FIELD OBSERVATION, 1996 (year : 1996)

Related PRNs : 17334, 44753, 419574

Compiled date : 01-01-1950


January 23, 2019, 3:05 am - Html file produced from the Regional Historic Environment Record:
Dyfed Archaeological Trust, The Shire Hall, 8 Carmarthen Street, Llandeilo
Carmarthenshire. SA19 6AF
Tel: 01558 823131, Fax: 01558 823133
Email: info@dyfedarchaeology.org.uk Website:www.dyfedarchaeology.org.uk
Archaeological data, from the Historic Environment Record, supplied by The Dyfed Archaeological Trust in partnership with Local Authorities, Cadw and the partners of ENDEX © DAT, 2019 (and in part © Crown, 2019).