CPAT Regional Historic Environment Record The following information is from the
on-line database 'Archwilio'. Use the icons in the sources section below to download further digital information.
Wrexham and Ellesmere Railway, Sesswick Halt railway station
Primary Reference Number (PRN) : 72335 Trust : Clwyd Powys Community : Sesswick Unitary authority : Wrexham NGR : SJ37914720 Site Type (preferred type first) : Modern Railway station Status :
Description : Sesswick Halt - a stop on the Wrexham & Ellesmere railway. It was built by the Cambrian in October 1913 following the introduction of auto-train working. The halt lay in a shallow cutting on the east side of the B5130 Cross Lanes-Bowling bank road. A steep path gave access to a surprisingly substantial brick fronted platform on the 'Up' side with stone slab edge, backfilled with hard core and compacted gravel. It boasted a name board and a small wooden shelter (Pratt, D, 1999, 113-4).
Nothing visible of the halt now. Presumed buried or destroyed. Pasture on W side of road. Pasture + slurry pit on E side of road. WO 2003
Opened 1/10/1913 and closed 10/9/1962 (Pratt, Derrick, 2009, pp117).