CPAT Regional Historic Environment Record The following information is from the
on-line database 'Archwilio'. Use the icons in the sources section below to download further digital information.
Primary Reference Number (PRN) : 34967 Trust : Clwyd Powys Community : Penybont Unitary authority : Powys NGR : SO1424163222 Site Type (preferred type first) : POST MEDIEVAL Corn mill Status :
Description : Corn Mill. Earliest known mention of it was in 1631 (Ridyard, G W, 1998).
Mill building is ruined and is used as a cattle shelter. It had 2 storeys and a small attic. The leat fed a small overshot or high breastshot wheel on the south wall. The millers cottage is derelict nearby. Mill stopped working sometime between 1851 and 1861 (Ridyard, G W, 1998a, 44-45).
Location The mill site lies on ground that generally slopes gently to the W, about 1km to the W of the base of the Radnor Forest hills. It was placed on the N side of the Mithil Brook, a stream which captures water flowing from the W side of the Radnor Forest and is a tributary of the River Ithon. The locality is mainly one of pasture fields, the nearest settlement being the village of Llandegley, some 350m to the SW. The name may imply a direct connection with the functioning of the village.
Mill buildings The mill is built of stone with lime mortar and measures about 7.5m NE/SW by 5.5m NW/SE and 6-7m high. The main entrance, on the NW, has an arched head and there is another entrance in the SW wall together with various windows in all four sides. There is no surviving internal detail due to its later use as a loose box for cattle with a hay store on the first floor level. It has recently been repaired and re-roofed in slate as part of an on-going conversion to a dwelling. Some evidence of the internal fittings was noted in the area between the mill and millers house, including a small section of wooden gear wheel and three iron-banded millstones-possibly of 'french burr' type. The millerâ€™s house, to the NNW of the mill, is derelict. It was built of lime-mortared stone with wooden internal partitions and measures about 8m NNW/SSE by 5m. The entrance would have been in the WSW wall and the collapsed remains of the fireplace and chimney are visible at the NNW end.
Water supply The mill pond seems to have been largely filled in along with the last 100m or so of the mill leat. The remainder of the leat is fairly clear and originates at about SO 14397 62858 (there is no trace of a dam or sluice left), from where it runs initially as a terrace alongside the stream, eventually becoming a gully which varies from 1m to 3m wide and averages 0.5m deep. The tail race is fairly well preserved as a deep and narrow channel leading back to the stream, but the area around the mill has been levelled so the precise arrangement there has been lost. The first edition OS map suggests that the wheel was positioned on the WSW side of the mill, between the millpond and tail race. (Hankinson & Silvester, 2012)