The Glamorgan-Gwent Archaeological
Trust Historic Environment Record
following information has been provided under the terms and conditions
of access as detailed on GGAT’s website www.ggat.org.uk.
Copyright is reserved on all data supplied by the GGAT HER Charitable Trust.
All output resulting from the use of the data must acknowledge the source
from information held by the GGAT HER Charitable Trust copyright.
data below is intended to be used for information and research only and
is not for use as part of a commercial project. If you wish to use
information derived from material held by the GGAT HER Charitable Trust
for publication in printed or multimedia form or to compile resources for
commercial use, prior permission must be obtained in writing. For further
information or to arrange a visit to the Trust please send an enquiry form
Primary Reference Number (PRN) : 01827g Trust : Glamorgan Gwent Community : Llanarth Unitary authority : Monmouthshire NGR : SO3689109916 Site Type (preferred type first) : Medieval House Status : listed building II*
Summary : Pit Cottage is a Grade II* small mid C16 timber-framed house of 3 room and cross-passage plan, with 17th century additions and alterations.
Description : Pit Cottage is a Grade II* small mid C16 timber-framed house of 3 room and cross-passage plan, 12.81m x 58m. Originally built without hall chimney, the chimney inserted backing onto the cross-passage. C17 inserted floor over hall, the stairs apparently inserted into the space to right of chimney, blocking an earlier door from the passage, but stairs since moved. S front and E gable rebuilt in rubble stone in C17, evidence found for timber-framing in wall-plate at right end of S front. Upper end parlour now kitchen, centre hall, and lower end service below cross-passage, now sitting-room. Part of the Llanarth estate. Marked on 1843 tithe map as owned by the Llanarth estate, occupied by Mary Jones (See Cadw Listing Description for further detail).
Pit Cottage, a wooden cruck trussed cottage, was probably built c.1550 as a three room and passage hall house. It was partly rebuilt in stone (Fox & Raglan 1951). It is shown on the First Edition Ordnance Survey map, but is not labelled (OS map).
, OS Record Card
Cadw , Listed Buildings Description
Fox, C. Sir and Raglan, Lord , 1951 , Monmouthshire Houses Part 1
Ordnance Survey , 1st Edition OS map 6"
The Handley Partnership , HAAbase built heritage assessment system: Buildings at Risk database