The Glamorgan-Gwent Archaeological
Trust Historic Environment Record
following information has been provided under the terms and conditions
of access as detailed on GGAT’s website www.ggat.org.uk.
Copyright is reserved on all data supplied by the GGAT HER Charitable Trust.
All output resulting from the use of the data must acknowledge the source
from information held by the GGAT HER Charitable Trust copyright.
data below is intended to be used for information and research only and
is not for use as part of a commercial project. If you wish to use
information derived from material held by the GGAT HER Charitable Trust
for publication in printed or multimedia form or to compile resources for
commercial use, prior permission must be obtained in writing. For further
information or to arrange a visit to the Trust please send an enquiry form
St Michael's Chapel
Primary Reference Number (PRN) : 01473g Trust : Glamorgan Gwent Community : Llantilio Pertholey Unitary authority : Monmouthshire NGR : SO33111827 Site Type (preferred type first) : Medieval Chapel Status : Scheduled Monument
Summary : St Michael's Chapel on the Skirrid may first be mentioned in 1610. Now represented by an earthwork platform.
Description : The remains of St. Michael's Chapel is represented by an E-W platform. Its S, E and W sides are now low, spread, stony banks. There is no bank on the N side which seems to have been cut into outcrop rock. The entrance is on the S. The chapel occupies the N end of an steep sided ridge and is within an enclosure which is unlikely to have been constructed for defensive purposes. The work has been formed by scarping the hillside. There is a double scarp on the N and W and a single scarp on the E. To the S a weak bivallate work has been constructed across the narrow ridge. There must originally have been an entrance through these banks but it cannot now be traced. The earthwork, with its inherent weakness, is of a type more frequently found as a building enclosure than as an isolated hill-top or hill-slope enclosure and was probably originally constructed to surround the chapel. (Quinnell, NV 1957; OS Record Card SO 31 NW 4)
Brook (1988, 79) notes this, with reservations, as first mentioned in 1610.
Foundations of a rectangular chapel on the summit of the Skirrid. Chapel now represented by a rectangular N-S platform, though an earlier, unidentified description on the scheduling description note that the bottoms of the chamfered jambs of the S door could once be seen. Bank inside at N end, with trig point. Within a kidney-shaped earthwork enclosure, formed by scarping the hillside; double scarp N and W, single scap E; S weak bivallate work constructed at S across the narrow ridge. Original entrance to enclosure not now traceable (OS card SO 31 NW 4). Evans 2003: GGAT 73 Early-Medieval Ecclesiastical Sites Project database
Brook, D , 1988 , The early Christian church in Gwent , Monmouthshire Antiquary : 5 : 67-84
Cadw , Cadw Scheduled Ancient Monument Record
Cadw , Application for Scheduled Monument Consent
Evans EM, 2003-04, GGAT 73 Early Medieval Ecclesiastical Sites Project
02/Desc Text/Cadw/ Full Management Report/2006/ Copy in further information file
Events : E002016 : Field visit St Michael's Chapel (year : 1957)