The Glamorgan-Gwent Archaeological Trust
Historic Environment Record
 

The following information has been provided under the terms and conditions of access as detailed on GGAT’s website www.ggat.org.uk.  Copyright is reserved on all data supplied by the GGAT HER Charitable Trust. All output resulting from the use of the data must acknowledge the source as follows:-
Derived from information held by the GGAT HER Charitable Trust copyright.

The data below is intended to be used for information and research only and is not for use as part of a commercial project.  If you wish to use information derived from material held by the GGAT HER Charitable Trust for publication in printed or multimedia form or to compile resources for commercial use, prior permission must be obtained in writing. For further information or to arrange a visit to the Trust please send an enquiry form http://www.ggat.org.uk/her/english/enquiry_form.html to her@ggat.org.uk.

Trefil Quarries (north)

Primary Reference Number (PRN) : 09010g
Trust : Glamorgan Gwent
Community : Tredegar
Unitary authority : Blaenau Gwent
NGR : SO1171014010
Site Type (preferred type first) : POST MEDIEVAL QUARRY
Status : Scheduled Monument

Summary :
Trefil quarry was opened in 1794 by Edward and Jonathon Kendall in order to supply limestone to their ironworks at Beaufort. The area retains quarry faces, well-preserved earthworks and tramways representing phases of quarrying from 1829 to 1919.

Description :
Trefil quarry was opened in 1794 by Edward and Jonathon Kendall in order to supply limestone to their ironworks at Beaufort. Later, limestone was carried to ironworks at Beaufort, Ebbw Vale, Sirhowy and Victoria along the Trefil Railroad, to Tredegar along the Tredegar Tramroad and to Rhymny along the Trefil Tramroad. The northern quarries are now all that survive of the whole, retaining individual quarry faces, well-preserved earthworks and tramways representing several phases of limestone quarrying from 1829 to 1919. (See SAM Information report).

Sources :
01/Desc text/Cadw/New Entry to the Schedule of Monuments/30/03/2007/Copy in further information file.

Events :
E003993 : Trefil Quarry, Tredegar (year : 1998)

Related records

Compiled date : 25-03-2008


March 29, 2025, 1:43 am - HTML file produced from GGAT HER Charitable Trust Ltd. Heathfield House, Heathfield, Swansea SA1 Tel. 01792 655208; Fax 01792 474469 website: www.ggat.org.uk  email: her@ggat.org.uk Registered Charity no. 505609
Data supplied by in partnership with Local Authorities, Cadw and the partners of ENDEX © GGAT HER Charitable Trust, 2025 (and in part © Crown, 2025).