The Glamorgan-Gwent Archaeological Trust
Historic Environment Record
 

The following information has been provided under the terms and conditions of access as detailed on GGAT’s website www.ggat.org.uk.  Copyright is reserved on all data supplied by the GGAT HER Charitable Trust. All output resulting from the use of the data must acknowledge the source as follows:-
Derived from information held by the GGAT HER Charitable Trust copyright.

The data below is intended to be used for information and research only and is not for use as part of a commercial project.  If you wish to use information derived from material held by the GGAT HER Charitable Trust for publication in printed or multimedia form or to compile resources for commercial use, prior permission must be obtained in writing. For further information or to arrange a visit to the Trust please send an enquiry form http://www.ggat.org.uk/her/english/enquiry_form.html to her@ggat.org.uk.

Craig-yr-hafod Lime Kiln

Primary Reference Number (PRN) : 07829g
Trust : Glamorgan Gwent
Community : Llanfoist Fawr
Unitary authority : Monmouthshire
NGR : SO2729210314
Site Type (preferred type first) : POST MEDIEVAL Lime kiln
Status : Scheduled Monument

Summary :
A remarkably well-preserved example of a dated early lime kiln with its associated quarries and trackways for coal and lime. The kiln was in use by one Lewis Lewis before 1811, when Lewis was aged 63 and a larger quarry was being opened nearby.

Description :
A remarkably well-preserved example of a dated early lime kiln with its associated quarries and trackways for coal and lime. The kiln was in use by one Lewis Lewis before 1811, when Lewis was aged 63 and a larger quarry was being opened nearby. The kiln is a single pot 2.5m diameter with an arch to the east, and is 3m high. The site is approached from the north-west by a path strewn with stone which appears to connect it to the coal level at Pen-ffordd-goch dated to before 1821, which is scheduled as MM227. A track zigzags up the hill from the north, which is revetted with stone in places. A cottage ruin lies adjacent to this. The kiln is at the nearest point to the enclosed land below the common, and it is likely that the lime was for local agricultural use. It would have been superseded by the larger quarries connected by tramroad to the canal which opened below it in 1812, and the OS 25" map surveyed in 1878 shows the quarry and kiln disused and as they appear today. The scheduled area is bounded by the wall and sheepfold on the south, the lower side of the access track on the east as far as a stone causeway, and the top of the quarries on the west. Of national importance as a well preserved and documented early limekiln and quarry group.

Sources :
01/Desc Text/Cadw/ Full Management Report/2006/ Copy in further information file

Events :

Related records
National Monuments Record NPRN 270093 http://www.coflein.gov.uk/en/site/270093/details/craig-yr-hafod-quarry-vii

Compiled date : 08-06-2001


March 28, 2025, 1:06 pm - HTML file produced from GGAT HER Charitable Trust Ltd. Heathfield House, Heathfield, Swansea SA1 Tel. 01792 655208; Fax 01792 474469 website: www.ggat.org.uk  email: her@ggat.org.uk Registered Charity no. 505609
Data supplied by in partnership with Local Authorities, Cadw and the partners of ENDEX © GGAT HER Charitable Trust, 2025 (and in part © Crown, 2025).