The Glamorgan-Gwent Archaeological Trust
Historic Environment Record
 

The following information has been provided under the terms and conditions of access as detailed on GGAT’s website www.ggat.org.uk.  Copyright is reserved on all data supplied by the GGAT HER Charitable Trust. All output resulting from the use of the data must acknowledge the source as follows:-
Derived from information held by the GGAT HER Charitable Trust copyright.

The data below is intended to be used for information and research only and is not for use as part of a commercial project.  If you wish to use information derived from material held by the GGAT HER Charitable Trust for publication in printed or multimedia form or to compile resources for commercial use, prior permission must be obtained in writing. For further information or to arrange a visit to the Trust please send an enquiry form http://www.ggat.org.uk/her/english/enquiry_form.html to her@ggat.org.uk.

Pwll Du Tramroad Tunnel Northern Entrances and Lower Bank

Primary Reference Number (PRN) : 04693g
Trust : Glamorgan Gwent
Community : Llanfoist Fawr
Unitary authority : Monmouthshire
NGR : SO24531168
Site Type (preferred type first) : POST MEDIEVAL Tramway tunnel
Status : Scheduled Monument

Summary :
Pwll du Tunnel carried Hill's tramroad from Blaenavon Ironworks through the mountain to Pwll du, connecting it with the Pwll du limestone quarries, Garnddyrys Forge and the Brechnock and Abergavenny Canal. The tunnel probably originated as a mining leve

Description :
Pwll du Tunnel carried Hill's tramroad from Blaenavon Ironworks through the mountain to Pwll du, connecting it with the Pwll Du limestone quarries, Garnddyrys Forge and the Brechnock and Abergavenny Canal. The tunnel probably originated as a mining level which by 1800 already extended 3/4 of a mile into the mountain. It was connected through to Pwll Du by c1815 when it began use as tramroad replacing the former mountain route from the quarries to the Ironworks. The route extended to the canal by 1821 and continued in use until the 1860s.
There were 2 tunnel entrances at the N end, each emerging just E of the metaled road. The more N has a stone portal (walled up) and short approach cutting. The S portal appears as a limestone wall roughly 50m to the SE, the arch being covered by soil.
The area includes the Tunnel House and the lines of tracks and tramroads.

Sources :
01/MM List/Cadw/1994/SAM Lists

Events :

Related records
GGAT Historic Environment Record (HER) 4692G

Compiled date : 05-10-1995


March 28, 2025, 1:22 pm - HTML file produced from GGAT HER Charitable Trust Ltd. Heathfield House, Heathfield, Swansea SA1 Tel. 01792 655208; Fax 01792 474469 website: www.ggat.org.uk  email: her@ggat.org.uk Registered Charity no. 505609
Data supplied by in partnership with Local Authorities, Cadw and the partners of ENDEX © GGAT HER Charitable Trust, 2025 (and in part © Crown, 2025).