The Glamorgan-Gwent Archaeological Trust
Historic Environment Record
 

The following information has been provided under the terms and conditions of access as detailed on GGAT’s website www.ggat.org.uk.  Copyright is reserved on all data supplied by the GGAT HER Charitable Trust. All output resulting from the use of the data must acknowledge the source as follows:-
Derived from information held by the GGAT HER Charitable Trust copyright.

The data below is intended to be used for information and research only and is not for use as part of a commercial project.  If you wish to use information derived from material held by the GGAT HER Charitable Trust for publication in printed or multimedia form or to compile resources for commercial use, prior permission must be obtained in writing. For further information or to arrange a visit to the Trust please send an enquiry form http://www.ggat.org.uk/her/english/enquiry_form.html to her@ggat.org.uk.

Gelli Groes Mill

Primary Reference Number (PRN) : 03691g
Trust : Glamorgan Gwent
Community : Pontllanfraith
Unitary authority : Caerphilly
NGR : ST17789471
Site Type (preferred type first) : POST MEDIEVAL Mill
Status : listed building II*

Summary :
Gelligroes Corn Mill was built circa 1625 and was subsequently much altered. It was constructed of rubble and has a T-shaped plan with a single storey main block and a two storey cross wing housing the mill machinery. The building has a stone tile roof. The overshot waterwheel has an iron frame and wooden buckets. The mill fell into disuse and disrepair by the late 1980s. The mill and adjoining barn were repaired and opened to the public in 1993 as a working corn mill and candle workshop respectively.

Description :
Gelligroes Corn Mill was built circa 1625 and was subsequently much altered. It was constructed of rubble and has a T-shaped plan with a single storey main block and a two storey cross wing housing the mill machinery. The building has a stone tile roof. The overshot waterwheel has an iron frame and wooden buckets. The mill fell into disuse and disrepair by the late 1980s. The mill and adjoining barn were repaired and opened to the public in 1993 as a working corn mill and candle workshop respectively.


Sources :
, Archwilio App Submission
Merryn Gittins and Peter Wiles, Welsh School of Architecture Collection , 1977 , Measured Drawings
Moxley Jenner Ltd , Various documentray and cartographic sources
RCAHMW , National Monuments Record
Taylor, B , 2014 , Digital photograph (1); Gelli Groes Mill
The Handley Partnership , HAAbase built heritage assessment system: Buildings at Risk database

Events :

Related records
National Monuments Record NPRN 40052 http://www.coflein.gov.uk/en/site/40052/details
GGAT Historic Environment Record (HER) 4355g

Compiled date : 03-03-1988


Images :



March 29, 2025, 9:00 am - HTML file produced from GGAT HER Charitable Trust Ltd. Heathfield House, Heathfield, Swansea SA1 Tel. 01792 655208; Fax 01792 474469 website: www.ggat.org.uk  email: her@ggat.org.uk Registered Charity no. 505609
Data supplied by in partnership with Local Authorities, Cadw and the partners of ENDEX © GGAT HER Charitable Trust, 2025 (and in part © Crown, 2025).