The Glamorgan-Gwent Archaeological Trust
Historic Environment Record
 

The following information has been provided under the terms and conditions of access as detailed on GGAT’s website www.ggat.org.uk.  Copyright is reserved on all data supplied by the GGAT HER Charitable Trust. All output resulting from the use of the data must acknowledge the source as follows:-
Derived from information held by the GGAT HER Charitable Trust copyright.

The data below is intended to be used for information and research only and is not for use as part of a commercial project.  If you wish to use information derived from material held by the GGAT HER Charitable Trust for publication in printed or multimedia form or to compile resources for commercial use, prior permission must be obtained in writing. For further information or to arrange a visit to the Trust please send an enquiry form http://www.ggat.org.uk/her/english/enquiry_form.html to her@ggat.org.uk.

Melin Court Iron Works

Primary Reference Number (PRN) : 01086w
Trust : Glamorgan Gwent
Community : Resolven
Unitary authority : Neath Port Talbot
NGR : SN825018
Site Type (preferred type first) : POST MEDIEVAL Iron works
Status : Scheduled Monument

Summary :
Melincwrt ironworks operated between 1708-1808, converted to coke as fuel in the 1790s. The standing remains include those of the furnace and foundry/finery buildings.

Description :
The Melincwrt Ironworks is a nationally
important ironworks of early 18th century with good survival of both standing structures and buried remains; these remains appear to extend north beyond the area currently protected through legislation (ie beyond the SAM area). The identified features of the Melincwrt Ironworks, which
operated between 1708 and 1808, include the considerable and impressive remains of furnace and foundry/finery buildings associated with the Melin Court Furnace. The charcoal furnace of 1708 appears to have been converted to coke during the 1790s. A plan of 1793 details the layout
of the site, which at the time was laid out on three levels and included in addition to the main furnace and small air furnace, a waterwheel for working the bellows, storehouses, calcining kilns, a counting house, a smiths shop and dwelling house and an associated watercourse system, including reservoirs and underground leats. Power for the blast was provided by a single
waterwheel. Contemporary prints by Wood and Horner depict the launder, which conveyed water to the waterwheel and detail changes to the water resource disposition at the site, which might be indicative of conversion to coke as a fuel.
The site, located on a precipitous site above Melin Court Brook, appears to have been abandoned after closure in 1808; the site now lies in an area of woodland (Roberts 2005).

Sources :

Events :
E000053 : Melincwrt Ironworks (year : 2004)

Related records
National Monuments Record NPRN 94699
National Monuments Record NPRN 34100 http://www.coflein.gov.uk/en/site/34100/details
National Monuments Record NPRN 34099 http://www.coflein.gov.uk/en/site/34099/details

Compiled date :


Images :



March 29, 2025, 11:09 am - HTML file produced from GGAT HER Charitable Trust Ltd. Heathfield House, Heathfield, Swansea SA1 Tel. 01792 655208; Fax 01792 474469 website: www.ggat.org.uk  email: her@ggat.org.uk Registered Charity no. 505609
Data supplied by in partnership with Local Authorities, Cadw and the partners of ENDEX © GGAT HER Charitable Trust, 2025 (and in part © Crown, 2025).