Gwynedd Archaeological Trust
Regional Historic Environment Record

Lighthouse, South Stack

Primary Reference Number (PRN) : 3810
Trust : Gwynedd
Community : Trearddur
Unitary authority : Ynys Mon
NGR : SH2023082262
Site Type (preferred type first) : POST MEDIEVAL LIGHTHOUSE
Status : Listed Building II

Summary :
South Stack Lighthouse marks the western side of Holyhead harbour. It is located on the small rocky island of South Stack which has sheer cliffs on all sides. It is only accessed via 400 steps down to an aluminium truss bridge which spans the 30 metres across a deep water channel below, and which replaced a suspension footbridge dating to 1828. Prior to the footbridge, there was only an arrangement of breeches buoys across the water.

Daniel Alexander designed South Stack Lighthouse, which is constructed from stone quarried on-site. The tower is built in the traditional form - tapered with a gallery and lantern roughly 27m above the rock - and painted white. A long, low building, once the engine room, was constructed next to the tower, and three smaller buildings, once dwellings, are also located on the island. The light is now operated automatically.

South Stack was first lit on 9th February 1809, and was at this time powered by oil. Following this, paraffin vapour was used. Since 1939 electricity has been used to power the light, which can be seen for over 20 miles.

Description :
Lighthouse (NAT). <1>

South Stack lighthouse, South Stack Island, a tall circular, tapering masonry tower supporting a lantern, completed in 1809. <2> <3>

1809. Tall circular tapering tower supporting lantern with revolving light. Whitened masonry. Engineer, Joseph Nelson. <4>

South Stack lighthouse celebrates its 200th birthday. Light first shone from the structure on 9th February 1809. It cost Trinity House 12,000 to build and boats were used extensively during its construction. A bridge was not built until 1827 to span the 100ft (30m) chasm which separates South Stack from the mainland. No-one has manned the lighthouse since 1984 when it was automated. <5>

Sources :
Kenney, J. , 2018 , First World War Military Sites: Operations. Report and Gazetteer. ( © Gwynedd Archaeological Trust (GAT))
Royal Commission on Ancient and Historic Monuments , 1999 , RC Buildings Records , <4>
, 2009 , 1809 Lighthouse is Burning Bright , <5>
Ordnance Survey , 1925 , SH28SW , <1>
Christie, R. & Hague, D. B. , 1975 , Lighthouses , <2>
, 1966 , Valley Road , <3>
Lynch, F. , 2009 , Anglesey Past Landscapes of the Coast , <6>
Tillotson, J. , 1972 , Picturesque Scenery in Wales, Illustrated by Thirty-seven Engravings on Steel , <7>
Jones, I. , 2008 , Transactions of the Anglesey Antiquarian Society , <8>
Hague, D. B. , 1994 , The Lighthouses of Wales Their Architecture & Archaeology , <9>
, 2003 , Holyhead Harbour Draft Conservation Plan , <10>
Gwyn, D. & Williams, M. , 1996 , A Guide to the Industrial Archaeology of North West Wales , <11>

Events :
41476 : Holyhead Harbour Draft Conservation Plan (year : 2003)
45217 : First World War Military Sites: Operations (year : 2018)

Related records
National Monuments Record Wales NPRN 41288 https://coflein.gov.uk/en/site/41288/

Compiled date : 31-03-2000


The above data are supplied by GAT in partnership with its Local Authorities (Anglesey, Conwy and Gwynedd County Councils, and Snowdonia National Park Authority), © GAT 2025 (and in part © Crown, 2025 - as indicated)
This information is supplied for the purposes of personal interest only and may not be used as part of a commercial project.

April 1, 2025, 7:22 am - HTML file produced from Gwynedd Archaeological Trust Regional HER
Gwynedd Archaeological Trust, Craig Beuno, Garth Road, Bangor, Gwynedd.  LL57 2RT
tel (01248) 352535,  fax (01248) 370925, email her@heneb.co.uk, web www.heneb.co.uk